Spalted maple strat project

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The binding was Alex' idea.. I was in doubt what color to use... I hate black pickup covers, so I was first shooting for a white binding to complement the pup covers....

I'm glad I finally went for the black binding.

Be careful when you use a hairdryer to bend the binding... Alder is prone to cracks when it gets heated... :D

Be careful when you use a hairdryer to bend the binding... Alder is prone to cracks when it gets heated... :D

yes and it is best to finish as soon as possible because of that same habit....anytime i leave alder sitting with a fresh cut for more than a few weeks it splits

wow ,coen...that binding REALLY shows off that spalt...it is like a picture frame complimenting a work of art.....i am envious....and i have never said that about a strat before

i must admit that I hate strats....but not that one.

OMFG!!!!!!! I LOOOOVE IT!!! I hate strats with a passion, but HOT DANG IS THAT NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!! :DB)B):D:D

-John

:D

I love it cuz it looks so individualistic, not like a cookie-cutter copy. It shows some thought went into the idea first, before it was built.

The black binding was mad genius idea. I always default to white-edged binding too, it would have taken some convincing to make me use black like that, but I'm glad you listened to Alex.

It's gonna be a great guitar.

For some weird reason, when I look at it I think of Adrien Belew doing those wild elephant noises on 'Elephant Talk' (King Crimson)...no idea why...

It shows some thought went into the idea first, before it was built.

Not really... I made a bid for fun on the spalt and I never thought I'd win it. I had some Alder laying around that was too thin to make a solid body out.

One day when I couldn't do much because I was waiting for some parts, I just started shaving and routing.

I already had a Tele shape drawn on the wood and was ready to saw.. then all of a sudden I changed my mind and went for the strat shape.

I only did the binding because I had to practise a binding for a custom bass I'll have to build... :D

I like it except for the fact that the grain doesn't follow the grain either on the front or back, it looks 'sideways'...just me...

If you had a piece that had the grain following the same direction as everything else, it would be perfect.

Maybe even bind it.