Spalted maple strat project

I bought a nice spalted maple top on ebay for $18 and decided to use it on European Alder.

The body is one piece and the very first time I used a hand plane to make it all flat.

Spalted maple is weird stuff.... some parts are so soft it feels like cardboard and the darker part in the middle has to be the hardest wood I ever worked with. Check out the picture... the wood actually was on fire when I attacked it with my router. :D

The neck will be a heavy flamed maple neck with a Brazilian rosewood fingerboard.

Pict0010.jpg

Pict0005.jpg

Pict0012.jpg

Pict0019.jpg

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta say I have always turned my nose up at spalted maple. NO LONGER!

That is GORGEOUS! Ironic that it caught fire as you worked on it, because it looks like it's on fire still, yet you did no airbrushed flames or suchlike.

I BEG of you to post pics after you lacquer it- that is going to be one spectacularly beautiful Strat-alike. Whatever inspired you to pick up that piece of wood is an instinct you should ALWAYS trust... :D

wow dude, the spalted maple piece looks so pretty. plus european alder and brazilian rosewood. that's going to make a beautiful axe, not to mention a beautiful tone and look.

I have also bought some tops from Sandi1070 on eBay in the beginning of December, but it have not arrived to Sweden yet. It included two spalted maple tops.

It goes by boat, and it is supposed to take about three months to get here.

I really look forward to it.