a good guitar

krazyderek

Ok, i was in one of my grooves today waiting for supper to cook, just playing some awsome licks, and riffs, the tone sounded just right tonight for some reason..... you know... and i started thinking about guitars and how you can tell what you like, what you really like, and what what you don't like.

Obviously if you don't like a guitar there's often something standing out that just doesn't please you, or it's just hard to play for some reason.

On a good guitar though it's much harder to decide what's good, and what's really good... aside from craftsmanship, i find it very hard to distinguish why i like my modd'ed to hell strat, vs my stock tele..... both have they're own feel, and vibe, sometimes just the fact of going from a thick neck to a thin neck (or vise versa) can be a delightfull change of setting for your hands, but i think this kind of affects your long term outlook of how much you like the guitar. same goes for any part of the guitar, pickup output and tone, fret height, change is always good when going between 2 well made guitars (in the "keeping things new" kind of sense)

Maybe i'm just one of those people that always needs something new and exciting, or maybe just something different... like on my amps, i always use 2 at a time, but i never use the same settings on my amps for more then a week till i find the next "ultimate sweet spot" on the dials....

Has anyone else ever gone thru this? how many people are like me? how many aren't?

I've had amps that sounded better than anything on one particular evening, then never sound half as good again. Don't know why.

main thing about a guitar is the sound. If it sounds good, I can put up with it not playing real good. But if it plays real good, but doesn't sound real great, I get bored fast.

Lucky for me, as soon as business slows down I can make the great sounding , poor playing one, turn into a great playing and sounding instrument.

Amps are still a pain for me, but I'm pretty satisfied with the guitar modifications I've narrowed myself down to.

I'd have to say I'm pretty much like you....except perhaps far more inexperienced :D for most of the past 7 years I have been using pedalboard multi-effects processors, mainly because I can't afford to buy 30 or so pedals and then have the foot-eye coordination to turn 3 off and 4 on in a very quick and efficient manner ..... I definately aggree that from an audio quality stand point, such multi-effect pedals don't sound as good as the individual pedals......I'm just blabbering now.....sorry......yup, I'm always tweaking and rarely completley happy but it's definately getting better, as far as my guitars themselves go, the more I know about repairing them the more they need to be repaired ..... if it's not getting a better set-up, it's installing and cuttin a brass nut.....but I love doing it

I need to force myself to play them more and work on them less

I'm gonna go play right now.....hope you find what you're looking for

"main thing about a guitar is the sound. If it sounds good, I can put up with it not playing real good. But if it plays real good, but doesn't sound real great, I get bored fast."

For me the opposite is true. If a guitar is uncomfortable for me to play, I can't stand it. Even if a guitar sounds really nice, I have to be comfortable to enjoy it.

I have a hard time with that....I have played guitar for about 4-5 years now, and I can't hear a whole lot of difference in sound on guitars...it's so weird. It makes me feel so inferior lol...

Actually that's why I shoot for playability instead of sound. I can tell the build quality and playability of an axe almost immeadiately. I can hear some differences, but I always figure that if I don't like it I can EQ it.

For me, I can dial in my pedal all the time, but, its my playing that messes up :D

anyways, yes it does take your ear a bit to devolpe, i should know, i just learned to be able to tell the difference between one humbucker and the next, also, if it is uncomfortable (too heavy or bad body contours) then i just CANT play it no matter what

Curtis

I have a hard time with that....I have played guitar for about 4-5 years now, and I can't hear a whole lot of difference in sound on guitars...it's so weird. It makes me feel so inferior lol...

consider yourself lucky...i hear every little inferiority and i hate being able to,strange because i am extremely hard of hearing due to many years of half stack jamming

you know it's funny, I find that I am never satisfied with my tone. I go though phases. I used to love real broken up tube distortian. Then I went through a period where everything had to be really heavy in reverb. Currently I try to play with littole to no reverb at all. I think it's good that we never get satisfied. It keeps things fresh! and a sguitars go, I switch beteween my rg7620 and my Les Paul, then to my Strat, all the time. It's weird how Sometime to me the paul feels the best and most comfortable, other days its the 7, and then others its the strat.

I'm always hearing playing off CDs and think man they sound good, then try and go emulate it, then realise that its all done in the studio and as a band. Theres always something wrong with my sound though, I often blame my cheap bass and my trace elliot amp, then I think my bass is set up as good as it can be and it sure as hell plays nice, and alot of the players I listen to probably use ampegs any way :D but I can still get that nice fat mid and punch. But if its not sound then its buzzes and other things, like my distortsion pedal the is always horrible high order harmonics and they seem to swamp the base of the sound but still it's good enough for me!

wbit of a huge one (for me any way)

Rob

It's all about playability for me. I like comfortable guitars to play, and I don't like ones where they're a pain in the a$$ to fret right. I like a guitar you can curl up with and fall asleep playing (ok, that doesn't work for electric, but I'm not finished building my ubermodded Univox yet). Of course, it's probably because I'm learning on an acoustic, and I always play at night with the room lit only by 3 candles. It's really cool.