Homebuilt Modelling Amp........pics

BeAR

Hear is a little something I threw together for my Behringer VAmp Pro.

It is a 2 X 12 combo unit with two 50 watt Mosfet amps. One driving eack speaker making a true stereo amp.

The unit is almost finished,just a strap handle to go ontop and some white piping to go underneath.

It only took a couple of days to make on and off.

inside.jpg

amp3.jpg

top.jpg

front.jpg

back_3.jpg

back_2.jpg

back.jpg

Vamp into combo just sux.

Vamp into Poweramp...................ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

All combos have their own character due to the internal preamp section. When you cascade the Vamp (which is a dedicated preamp in itself) ontop of the preamp in the combo, the sound really really sux badly.

This sounds awsome and each emulations sounds spot on.

2X12 is bloody loud!!!!!

Oh! Very nice! :D

I was thinking of doing something similar with a rack (modeler/power amp) to be used with either a 2x12" or 2x8" cabinets (modular... attached maybe with some butterfly latches.) I want the 2x8" option so that it can be used as a small practice amp (should fit within the width of the rack) similar to that old Gallien-Kruger 250ML amp with the 2x6.5" speakers. My current practice amp is my modeller plugged into a set of small, powered computer speakers. Yes, it sounds as crappy as you can imagine B).

Do you turn off the cabinet simulation in the V-amp since you're using the 2x12 instead of plugging into a (full-range) PA?

Very nice work indeed! :D

Yeah. you shoulda made a tutorial on it as you built it. That woulda been awesome....

But you still can! You don't have to show us how to make a box, just make a wiring diagram!

Questions: Did you have to run open cords into the v-amp? I mean, with no connector? Or were you able to use the regular 1/4 jack and maybesome hot glue or a couple welding tacks to keep it in permanently? After seeing your work i really think it would be awesome to build one. (I realy need a replacement for my fender Frontman 15B [a 15 watt, 8 inch speaker, bassman copy.] It also has no volume control...)

And that looks cheap. (not your work, it looks awesome) i mean, it looks cheap to build. And you said it sounds f-ing awesome, so now i want one....

So also.... could you post where you bought everything, how much everything cost, and tips for someone wanting to build it?

-John

You should use counter sunk screws on the back, IMO, cause when you're walking with the amp at your side, you don't want those hitting your leg....

Also, what is that white tubing? It looks like it has a solid core, is it a white version of that stuff you use to put in screens? It also looks like That stuff you can buy from stew mac that you slice to make side dots on a neck...

Thanks guys.

Ill answer the questions in order..........

I leave the cabinet simulation "on". The reason for this is simple. All combo amps get their sound from a combination of things mainly the pre amp, power amp and speaker enclosure. Im running a very clean 100watts of power with massive amounts of headroom. This should hopefully not interfere with the sound that the VAmp produces. Basically just treating my amp like a full range P.A system. I must say it works extremely well.

I just made the amps with RCA inputs and custom made the leads to suit. 1/4 inch guitar style connector to male RCA connector. Makes it easy to tinker with if I ever need to disassemble the unit.

Total cost was as follows in Australian dollars:-

$50 for the 16mm MDF all cut to exact size.

$40 for Blue Tolex. (Automotive Upholsterer)

$18 for a jumbo can of 3M spray adhesive.

$10 for assorted screws, cup washers etc....

$7 for a strap handle (not fitted yet.........its off getting chrome plated)

$7.50 for 4 small castors for the bottom.

$24.95 for each amplifier From Jaycar Electronics.

$35 for the power supplies.

$3 for the white piping around the case.

$18 for a 10mm radius Router bit.

$5 for a packet of staples.

Total of $218.45

Plust the cost of the VAmp Pro. (which I allready had.)

Most of the stuff I already had so it really didnt cost me anything.

I allowed $50 for the supply and cutting of the MDF although it cost me nothing to cut it myself.

The white tubing id called piping. Its used by upholsterers in car seats and such.

The amp is permanently on when the mains power is plugged in. Being a Mosfet amp, it draws a tiny tiny amount of current and produces no heat or noise when there is no input. The volume control is on the right hand side of the VAmp pro..............labeled Master Volume.

Just goto a place that re trims car seats. They have every colour you could imagine.

Re covering is such an easy job. This whole cabinet took 3 hours total.

Just make sure you use good spray adhesive.......3M was the only brand that worked as it should, and a heavy duty staple gun that works with MDF............that wood is hard to staple.

would it be possible to gut out a standard V-Amp 2 and put that into a similar enclosure?

btw ..nice..very very nice :D

Good question! I want to do the same thing but running into a Pignose Hog 30 for camping. My main worry is noise from the power converter to run the Vamp 2 off of the gel cell batteries.

BTW, don't laugh. The hog 30 is a bass amp but it makes a fairly decent transparent acoustic amp. It sounds pretty damned good with the Vamp, certainly good enough to rock some remote moutain valley.

the V-amp 2 pro has many feautures that the regular V-amp lacks... like more outputs, S/PDIF output.

You can record a "dry" signal while you're monitoring a "wet" signal.

Other than that, it sounds surprisingly good. I use my V-amp2 PRO solely for recording purposes and I feel it's a professional tool.