Homebuilt Modelling Amp........pics

BeAR

My plan wouldn't be to gut out the Vamp2 but rather sort of "nest" it. I'm not worried about it being pretty, I just want it to work well. While I agree that the pro is a much better unit I would rather spend that extra money on tools or wood. :D

Besides, I'm just not that good of a player to justify spending more money when I'm happy enough with the sound I'm getting. (This doesn't apply to guitars of course, that's an illness. B) ) I only want to find a way to make the whole rig independent of outside power.

Would a regular cheapo commercial power inverter be good enough or would it introduce a lot of noise?

i was kinda thinking of doing something like that.......but mines a little different

I was thinking of getting a tube preamp and tube power amp and making a combo cab to house them in........in other words.....a mutt version of the randall module amp combo.

I would get a jmp-1 and a peavey tube power amp.......both off of ebay

I don't think that i would use tolex though. I would try to cover it in camouflage :D

• 8 months later...

Hey, I'm in the process of building a new enclosure for one of my old beat up combos right now (haven't actually cut the wood yet, but I've bought all the supplies). How did you do the piping on the top of the amp? Is that center section of the top a seperate piece of wood that is attatched on the inside or are there just grooves routed in the top to tuck the tolex and piping into? I had decided just to leave that detail off of my enclosure, but it adds so much style. I have to say I'm jealous. I looked everywhere for blue tolex and everyone was either out of stock or don't carry it. Oh, well! Maybe next time.

Great job, by the way.

Looking good. I want to do something similar, but I am wondering if a car amplifier will work to amp up the output from the modeling amp. I am considering using a Vamp 2 though. I have a couple computer psu's that should be adequate to power one car amp. Just curious to know if its workable.

Hey, I'm in the process of building a new enclosure for one of my old beat up combos right now (haven't actually cut the wood yet, but I've bought all the supplies). How did you do the piping on the top of the amp? Is that center section of the top a seperate piece of wood that is attatched on the inside or are there just grooves routed in the top to tuck the tolex and piping into? I had decided just to leave that detail off of my enclosure, but it adds so much style. I have to say I'm jealous. I looked everywhere for blue tolex and everyone was either out of stock or don't carry it. Oh, well! Maybe next time.

Great job, by the way.

I was wondering the same thing about the piping.

• 4 weeks later...

hey I have a x-vamp and would like to do the same. Right now i'm running it through an acoustic combo and after fiddeling a LONG time I finally found a spot I like. I would love to do the same thing you did.

So all you have to do is order the amp you linked to, plug your vamp into it, and put it's outputs into speakers? Is it that simple or am I missing something?