Fender Trem VS Floyd Rose?

GuitarMaestro

Big difference in sound?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A floyd is such a dominant piece of guitar hardware. When floyd moves in, everything changes, and probably not for the better, if you like the guitar's tone before Floyd showed up.

It actually has "more sustain" , but more sustain does not equal better tone. If it did, we'd be seeking a guitar made of all steel. Floyd will kick a lot of "woodyness" right out the door.

There are so many guitars out there with a floyd already on them, that I don't advise you slapping one on your guitar. Just buy a guitar with one already on it.

Hi!

I am thinking about replacing the trem on my favorite axe which is a older Fender axe to a low profile floyd. I fear that it might change the sound of my favorite and first guitar....So what's your expirience/opinion?

Thanks,

Marcel!

Why not use a Wilkenson?

• 1 month later...

Not many choices in the poll, so I gave it a null vote.

As others have said, with what you listed, it seems you've made up your mind already.

If it's your first and/or favorite, you could leave it as-is for now and save up for/pick up a guitar with a Floyd to mess around with/cut on.

Whether you go Floyd or Wilkinson, or just leave it alone, you might want to try out a Tremol-No on it to see if that helps with your "Tone & Sustain Quest".

They're not out yet, but they will be soon. (I swear!)

• 1 month later...
You could try one of these and a set of locking tuners. Might be a good compromise, and technically it's still a Floyd Rose. In fact, i've seen some newer Strats with these trems on them, and they now have "Floyd Rose" stamped on the base plate.

THose are great trems with one exception. They aren't adjustable for different radius. I believe the radius is 12"

• 4 weeks later...