2 guitars at once

krazyderek

I once saw a video of that jeff something guy with the big funny moustach demo'in one of the roland VG units, and one of the patch's was called "dual guitar" and it basicly made your guitar sound like 2 BUT, it wasn't just a standard 10ms offset, the offset time actually varried a bit to make it sound more realistic, is there a stand alone depal that does this? if not, can any one think up a simple way to make it... basicly i could just buy one of the Boss delay pedals and mod it so that it acted as a variable doubling pedal... maybe take some parts out of a vibrato, or phaser pedal???

i really really really like the sound of 2 guitars recorded playing the same thing, and i'd like to try and cary that over to my rig for live performances....

yes and no to both of you, an echo pedal set to a low enough delay time can act as a "doubler" which is a effect that some electronic studio's have...

chorus....... umm sorta... only chorus doesn't go fast enough...

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

The delay pedal would also pitch bend if you set it up to have a variable speed. Kinda like a floating floyd with heavy palm muting. If you can get past that, wite the spped pot up to a 1/4" female jack, then use an experssion pedal for the spped control. That'd also work for the HUGE "dive" at the end of "Eruption". Like a Whanny pedal if the "time" is set for a long time. It's 3:30 AM, so forgive me if that made no sense. :D

Hi Derek,

I have been able to do this with a harmonizer function on my G-Major effect unit but you can do it with any harmonizer unit (set the delay and the pitch slightly diffferent and there you have it)

See the problem with most effects pedals, is that any time you make it double a guitar sound, or at least try to, it basicly just sounds like some kinda tin can echo.

I did up some samples of one guitar no effets , 2 guitars no effects, one guitar with stereo chorus, and one guitar with panned echo.

Keep in mind that all these tracks are stereo, and panned exactly the same , with the exception of the one guitar with no effects.

During these samples i just alternate what track being recorded during certain parts of the song when it was copied over to my computer.

1 Guitar vs 2 Guitars (1.40mb)

2 Guitars vs Chorus setting1 vs Echo setting1 (1.40mb)

2 Guitars vs Chorus setting2 vs Echo setting2 (1.40mb)

I once saw a video of that jeff something guy with the big funny moustach...

Sounds like Jeff Baxter.

ya, that sounds right, any idea where those video's are now? never found them again since roland went to that new site layout...

I have been able to do this with a harmonizer function on my G-Major effect unit but you can do it with any harmonizer unit (set the delay and the pitch slightly diffferent and there you have it)

If you are serious about wanting to do this - this is what I would suggest. My G-Major is set to do this very thing. It really thickens the sound up nicely. I use both voices on the feature and set them up a bit differently with small delays and pitch values (this actually gives three guitars if I remember correctly). I think you can set up an expression pedal to vary just about any param. It's about $400 US (last I looked) and worth every penny.

If you are serious about wanting to do this - this is what I would suggest. My G-Major is set to do this very thing. It really thickens the sound up nicely. I use both voices on the feature and set them up a bit differently with small delays and pitch values (this actually gives three guitars if I remember correctly). I think you can set up an expression pedal to vary just about any param. It's about $400 US (last I looked) and worth every penny.

Can you send me the details of that preset

where do i buy this? what exacly is it? what do i look for?\

EDIT:

:D 499.99 ?

153002.jpg

can it completely replace my effects unit? like delay, tremolo, chorus, reverb, ? cause then i could sell my boss multi effects pedal...?

ok so it can..... but that's a pretty high price... i wish i didn't have an obligation if it doesn't really meet my expectations though :D

DAVE, is this that you were talking about

Pitch Detune

....If you think your sound is simply too direct and clean, try out a setting with only a few cents off detune on both voices. - E.g. +2 cents on Voice 1 and -3 on Voice 2.

i still don't know if that would sound real enough for my ears though..

where do i buy this? what exacly is it? what do i look for?\

EDIT:

:D 499.99 ?

153002.jpg

can it completely replace my effects unit? like delay, tremolo, chorus, reverb, ? cause then i could sell my boss multi effects pedal...?

hi Derek,

ya this is what Dave and I were talking about.Yes it can replace all your effects and you might want to check out www.tcelectronics.com for the video demo they have there,to get a better look at what you are buying.You can use a midi pedal with it that also can controll the wah that it has and a bunch of other things.I bought mine on ebay,it was only 4 months old and I paid 420€,so ebay might be a cheaper alternative.btw you also need a midiman device to update the software which has been coming quite often lately.Hope this helps you out

Sorry, I forgot about this for a while.

Check into the G-Major before buying anything. As usual, the factory presets are not so good. It took me about 20 min. to get what I wanted out of it. I was amazed when I heard what it could do. I mainly use mine for trying to "thicken" up my signal. I've always wanted a harmonizer but didn't want to spend thousands on one.

I may be using it for a different purpose than what you want though. This is something that I use most of the time, not something I kick in for a small piece. you wouldn't listen to it and say "hey - is that two/three gutiars?" but a lot of people have been amazed by the quality of the sound. I haven't tried spreading the voices out very far, maybe it would sound like multiple guitars? Since this is something that I normally use full time, I chose to create something that just makes the guitar sound fatter rather than something like an octave pedal.

This is one unit that I really feel strongly about. I have no regrets at all about buying it. I would be lost without it.

I'll take a look at what I'm using for settings (if I remember) tonight.

• 1 month later...

hmm one cabinet slight delay.

one slight pitch change form 3-6 cents to give that fat rhandy roads sound.

For live performances, an effect would be awesome to have for that kind of stuff. For the price of the unit, if you need other effects, it looks like a complete winner.

On the other hand, for recording purposes, nothing beats actually recording 2 guitars. :D

Greg