Good Tabbing Software

Curtis P

I like to write my own songs, but i cant write them down, and its really hard to remeber how it goes cuz its fast stuff, is there anything out there I can use that i can plug in a mic and play and it will tab it out for me? or no??

Thanks

Curtis

cubase...you can record, and it will convert to midi and score it, and the scores can be edited to be tab

but yes, its hard (very very very hard) and also its expensive (very very very expensive)

unless you were to break the law, but i couldn't possibly recommend that :D

dan

I'll usually just record while I'm playing (I use Cakewalk SONAR) so I don't forget what I played, and I also try to write out the tab to anything worthwhile. Blank tab books are readily available. You might also check out the excellent Power Tab software.

is there anything out there I can use that i can plug in a mic and play and it will tab it out for me?

powertab will score the music played through a mic? Wow, that's nice - I'm gonna have to try that.

I've only used it for reading/printing. Once in a while I play the music through powertab but it always sounds horrible. None of the guitar sounds are close to reality.

is there anything out there I can use that i can plug in a mic and play and it will tab it out for me?

powertab will score the music played through a mic? Wow, that's nice - I'm gonna have to try that.

I've only used it for reading/printing. Once in a while I play the music through powertab but it always sounds horrible. None of the guitar sounds are close to reality.

Your right, it sounds horrible, just for kicks and giggles the other night i tabbed out and Crazy Train, just the intro, ohh god, so horrible

And, i dont have a mic yet, I am going to borrow my friends this weekend hopefully and then try it out

Thanks for the input and such

Curtis

P.S. dont ask for me to play for you, I aint that good :D

Curtis

Yeah, pretty bad... but it's not really PowerTab's fault, it's a limitation of your sound card/software synth. If your sound card has better sounds then by all means install them! :D I'm stuck with an older laptop with a crappy internal sound card, etc. I installed an old program called WinGroove

http://www.wg7.com/en/wgdl.html

not perfect but much better than stock B). When installing it, be sure to have "install as driver" (or something like that) checked. After installation, verify in "WinGroove Setup" that "Driver Installation" is checked. Installation will make .mid file association with the WinGroove player. To use this driver in PowerTab, open the "MIDI" menu, then "Setup..." set the "Output Device:" to "WinGroove" (mine says "WinGroove (NT)" I assume because I'm on an XP box.) Switch it back and forth from the old one vs WinGroove to hear the difference... not the most convincing guitar sounds but better (tolerable anyway... I'm listening to a PowerTab midi of Triumph - Lay It On The Line as I write this :D.)

Edit: I mention WinGroove because it's "free-ish." There are much better sounds out there but they cost $$$.

Yeah, pretty bad... but it's not really PowerTab's fault, it's a limitation of your sound card/software synth.

Right, I do realize that.

What I was really trying to ask is - does powertab really automatically tab something that is played into the PC? I always thought of it as a composition helper but not a transcriber. I think that's what the original question was asking for.

Yeah, pretty bad... but it's not really PowerTab's fault, it's a limitation of your sound card/software synth.

Right, I do realize that.

What I was really trying to ask is - does powertab really automatically tab something that is played into the PC? I always thought of it as a composition helper but not a transcriber. I think that's what the original question was asking for.

Heh, I realize that too B)... but as it is the nature of this forum, the discussion has shifted from that original question to PowerTab :D.

I too questioned PowerTab's ability to "automatically tab something that is played into the PC" in an earlier post in this thread. My last post was intended to only address the part of your post that I quoted... about the horrible guitar sounds in PowerTab.