Another Noobie First

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, the body of my first guitar (whenever I get around to it, no holding your breath please) will be rather like that, as I tooke a Tele outline and adjusted it slightly to my needs. How odd. Great minds think very much alike, eh Vankirk?

I wished I could take credit for it but it's a design of Don Grosh Custom Guitars.

I recently had a chance to play one and it was SWEET! but they're spendy :D

I thought the carve wasn't deep enough though but the 3 Grosh guitars I played had the nicest fret work I've ever fealt or seen. They looked like glass and played like butta! :DB)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Sorry, haven't been workin on this much. I moved, started my own business as well as a full time job & a family so I haven't had a lot of time or energy. I've been playin instead of building.

Anyways, I've done just a little bit more on the carve. All with a cabinet scraper and sandpaper. It's a slow process but so far I'm happy with it. I might do the carve slightly different next time but I'm hoping this will look good after it has a finish.

I've found that it's tough to keep both sides of the carve looking symmetrical. Especially, when the outer body shape isn't symmetrical like a double cut. (that may be my next project)

My hack job so far :D

I have more work to do on the upper horn and lower section of the body.

BTW, the flat spot on the side is for an electrosocket.

I'll make sure to check that after the neck and bridge are set. :D

The bridge spacing is right on but the neck pup pole pieces might be spaced too far apart so I'll measure it and exchange it if needed.

Thanks for the heads-up. B)

Edited by VanKirk

Well, after an immediate response from Brian (Thanks, excellent customer service) he mentioned that exchanges are made through Dimarzio so I checked the website.

This is what Dimarzio's site states about "F" spaced pups:

Although some players believe that F-spaced pickups are only for the bridge position of tremolo bridge guitars, many guitars with fixed bridges (including late 1990s Gibson Les Pauls and Epiphone LPs) should have F-spaced pickups in the bridge position.

Most tremolo equipped guitars that have a nut width of 1-11/16” (43mm) or more should also use an F-spaced pickup in the neck position.

If you’re replacing a bridge-position pickup and you're not sure what your string-spacing is, it's usually better to get an F-spaced model.

It is not necessary for the strings to pass exactly over the center of the polepieces for best performance, but it is wise to avoid a situation where the E strings are sitting completely outside of the outer polepieces.

I have a fixed bridge & a 1-11/16" nut so I should be OK but that was a good thing to point out Kyle, thanks again. :D

• 7 months later...

I know, I know. I'm the laziest , most procrastinating builder on the forum. B)

Body

Side view of carve. So far.

You can see how I didn't account for the measurement of the drill bit taper so the posts don't sit into the body far enough. (the black area at the posts). Neck has a 3 degree angle to the pocket. Nice snug fit too.

Full Frontal with cat and my feet.

Sounds wrong, I know. B)

Full view from behind.

No comments about my mismatched socks please. :D

You can see how one of the ferrule holes is off center with the screw hole, dumb mistake. I drilled that hole before drilling with a forstner bit for the ferrule. dumb dumb dumb! :D

I'll fill it with a dowel and redrill right after I pull the posts and drill the holes deeper for the bridge mounts, another stupid mistake.

I need to buy the post puller from Stew-Mac cause I had to use a mallet to knock them in.

Then I can drill for a ground wire to the bridge that I forgot. Yet ANOTHER stupid mistake. :D

I'm also gonna make the belly contour a lil deeper (took me so long to make it that I'm fatter now).

Then, on to finish the upper bout carve and pup routes.

i have to say that that guitar looks cool.

is that really your first??

makes me wanna make my own one. i have plans to do it...eventually, but i'm only young atm ( and still have hair..lol)

i cant wait to see that guitar finished, i love the bridge. classy looking!

Brian :D

The carve is looking spectacular, and the Baby Grand is looking like the right choice of bridge! I love the Baby Grand, but I could never picture what kind of guitar it would look good on. I think this is it. :D

Greg