Another Noobie First

Here's another noobie posting my first time guitar work-in-progress.

2 piece Alder body. I'm going to make the rib contour bigger than it is in the pics. It's going to have a carved top as well.

It's my 'tele-prs kinda body' similar to Don Grosh guitars. I'm a blues player and will probably have 2 single coil pups and a bridge humbucker. Still deciding if I may want 2 PAFs though since I already have strats & with 3 single coils.

Body

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

I'd go 2 PAFs and maybe a Floyd, just to stay in tune. I thick either that or a gibo syle setup. That way it'd be somethin' new for ya. But, then that's what I'd do. Do your own thing dude.

Yeah, would be cool to have something different. A buddy of mine is going to change the pups on his PRS and is going to sell me his old ones if I wire in his new ones. I should give them a try...but 2 PAFs with gold covers/hardware, also thinkin about the Hipshot Babygrand for the bridge...hmmm B) I have Sperzels on the neck already. I'll have to start looking for some PAFs :D Thanks for the input. :D

Here's a Grosh guitar and possible hardware I may go with. I don't trust myself enough on this one to carve a quilted maple top. I'm still thinking Hipshot Babygrand for the bridge with either single coils or humbuckers.

Don Grosh Guitar

Here's the bridge

Hipshot Babygrand Bridge

BTW...I Posted these pics at PHOTOBUCKET.COM :D

^thats got to be one of the best maple tops i've EVER seen - its how the quilts are matched up so well....... damn :D

your project looks v nice too - thats a nice chunk of wood you got there mister!

what finish are you thinking?

Thanks alot!

Possitive feedback and constructive criticism is MUCH appreciated and only gets me more into this new hobby I've found. This web-site and it's members have been a great resource to me. Thanks! :D

...and Streamline, if you like that quilt maple here's another pic that I drool over. I set it as my desktop wallpaper. I love the f-holes. I've never played a Don Grosh guitar myself but I like the look. If this goes well I'll have to try a semi-hollow, quilt top version. B)

Don Grosh Sunburst

As far as the finish goes, I don't have spray equipment or a well ventilated area to spray in. I'm also inexperienced at finishing although there are some very good on-line resources to help me out. I'm thinking I may go with a Tru-oil finish for easy application. I've heard that this is a polymerized linseed oil that builds a nice gloss better than straight tung oil does. I know Alder isn't usually a stunning grain kinda wood but this piece looks pretty good to me.

I may try some dye & the Preval sprayer to go for a transparent cherry burst but I still have time to think about it. Things are going slow since I'm on a budget and have limited tools.

wasn't this why the "In Progress and Finished Work" section was created?

Sorry to clutter up the forum guys. :D

My Fiance designed the decal and a guy that does the decals for my work made a sheet of 8 of them for me with 2 of them in black with the gold border. He made them and delivered them to me at work for VERY cheap. B)

His name is Shane Mascorro. Here's his website Shane Mascorro. Cool guy.

Well, its lookin good. I think I will actually be in the area this next week. Lost my job, and thinkin bouit movin. If all pans out, I'll be livin in yer are soon.

So anyway...keep up the good work.

Well, its lookin good. I think I will actually be in the area this next week. Lost my job, and thinkin bouit movin. If all pans out, I'll be livin in yer are soon.

So anyway...keep up the good work.

Sorry to hear that Litch :D Good luck on the move. Been too lazy to PM you but I'll do it soon. B)

This is a great area for Luthiery. You should take a tour of USA Custom Guitars if you get here. Tommy's a really cool guy and has a nice shop. I live close to USAGC & Warmoth is not far (Warmoth still ships parts to me even though I can easily drive there in 20 minutes :D ). Oh yeah, Tacoma Guitars is here too.

The Guild of American Luthiers is in town and there are good sources for wood and parts. I'll have to check but I think they meet this year. They only gather every 4 years I think.

Off topic!  Washington!  Stay away, it rains all the time and you won't like it. B)

Dude, I used to work in Spokane. I live 5 miles (if that) from the washington border. Lutherie Mecca seems like a good place to find work.

And I like the rain :D

Lutherie Mecca seems like a good place to find work.

Then deffinately check with Tommy at USAGC...or even Warmoth for that matter. Tommy's stuff is high quality and he's got more orders than he can keep up with so maybe he needs more help? I think Tommy would make a cool boss.

Also check out Tacoma Guitars. I don't think they pay very well but you'd have benefits B) Good Luck Litch! :D

Very slowly since I'm lacking tools and time. :D I did manage to find a couple template bits at Home Depot today. I may go ahead and route the neck pocket & control cavity tomorrow. Reading, reading and reading about different finishes cause I'm still undecided. To cause even more indecision, I've been thinking about a lam top with binding. B) Naw, Carve top in a cherry burst...well...ahhh crap! :D

About the only thing I have decided on is dual gold covered humbuckers that I'd like to order from Brian next payday. The Babygrand bridge is on back-order from Stew-Mac for like 7 weeks! :D

Trust me here. The Oldham Viper bits you bought are pure crap. I went thru 4 of em. They are cheaply made. The carbide tipped blades....well, as soon as they touch the wood, the carbide is hasta. Go to Lowes or a Hardwood dealer and get a Freud. For $2 more, its worth peace of mind. Bosch bits arent bad, I just reccomend Freuds.

Thats just my experience tho. I do say that the Ryobis HD sells are great. HD isnt bad, the vipers the sell are. Cheaply made imported bits. The shanks are undersized and greased so badly it is hell to even think about cleaning it off.

Otherwise, it sees to be going great.

• 3 weeks later...

Now I went and made this project last even longer. I picked up a decent piece of flamed maple off e-bay, enough for 2 guitars. Which also means that I'll look into a stain & laquer finish instead of Tru-oil. :D I'll have to cut, plane and glue this piece up. Hopefully I won't hose this too bad but what the hell. I might as well go all out and if I totally screw it up, life goes on.

1 Kiln Dried Curly/Flamed Maple Board. Dimensions of the board are:

Length: 45 9/16 inches Width: 10 9/16 inches Thickness: 15/16 inch

Flame Maple