Gonna get the StewMac Violin Kit.

I'm gonna order it tomorrow. I have attempted to make a violin a while ago, but it just wasn't going well. I've always been intrigued with the StewMac kit, so I'm finally gonna buck up and get it. I'm actually not getting it to make myself a violin to play, I want to make it a piece of wall art. I'm gonna 'antique' it. I'm gonna finish it at my work, I'm thinking with an alchohol based dye stain in a maroon tone, then use a synthetic steel whool pad the sand back and lighten areas, then coat with a two coats of lacquer. I not gonna be too concerned with the final sound, because you'd probably have to do alot of work to get the thing to sound good anyways. I will post progress pics though. Should be interesting.

5342_1lg.jpg

I would love to build a violin. post your progress PLEASE!

I will.

I faxed myorder yesterday and got a confrimation email from StewMac saying they sent it out yesterday. I'll probably recieve it sometime during the week following March break.

• 2 weeks later...

IT JUST CAME! :D

Overall the kit is quite nice looking. It's seems a little rough, the neck is literally rough, it's only just been filed by hand. The fittings, which I think are boxwood, are a nice brown tone and will look nice on the finished product.

• 4 months later...

I finished it about a month ago.

violin1.jpg

violin2.jpg

violin3.jpg

violin4.jpg

Was a fun project. Fitting the neck was a challenge, I had to make sure it had a specific height at the placement of the bridge, and at the neck joint, it actually took two tries, and I had to add a lamination to the base of the neck.

The finish isn't exactly what I was hoping for. I used Minwax Red Oak 215, I stained the bare wood inself, and what happened was the different grain orientaion on the front absorbed, due to the arching, the stain in different amounts. Basically the more end-grain-ish portions are the darker portions. I think I also should have put a second coat on. I then sanded the stain off the edges to give the violin an antique look, which I think the weird staining adds too, and shot three coats on Deft Semi-Gloss Laquer on it, and rubbed it down with a synthetic steel whool pad.

I don't really play the violin, but I think it sounds pretty good for what it is. :D

I can't believe I've missed this thread! What an excellent job!

I have an old fiddle that I've been wanting to repair. While I don't play the fiddle either, I have wanted to have one (and a mandolin) because I love Bluegrass music so much.

I've also thought about getting one of those StewMac kits before. Hmmmm.... this makes it a no brainer. :D