Best electric guitar for under 1k

noviceluthier

Pawn Shop

You can get a decent guitar there, strip it down and do a custom paint job and put it back together for way under 1k

Curtis

more likely to get ripped off and not even know it.pawn shop "deals" are few and far between.

for that price range i would buy one of those neck thru warlocks...but that is just me :D

I'd give a nod to Carvin... order it, try it out for 10 days... if your friend doesn't like it return it... no questions asked :D.

I'll second that. Carvin has the best, hands-down, and they do custom-shop work for ridiculously low prices.

Pawn Shop

You can get a decent guitar there, strip it down and do a custom paint job and put it back together for way under 1k

Curtis

more likely to get ripped off and not even know it.pawn shop "deals" are few and far between.

for that price range i would buy one of those neck thru warlocks...but that is just me :D

My friend bought a GK guitar there, strat style, with trem bridge and amp for 300 bucks, the paint was scratched on it so his dad, a sign maked repainted it for him for free, so he bought a 300 dollar guitar and amp that is amazing, some deals at pawn shops are good

Curtis

I'm biased, but I think the Godin LG (the P90 has more soul, but the humbuckers sound great, too) is a winner. Hell, for less than a grand, he can get one of each. I'm boggled enough by the feature-to-price ratio on paper, but when I actually pick it up and play it I just shake my head in disbelief.

I haven't tried a Carvin, though-- but I've never heard a bad word uttered about them.

There are a rediculous amount of good guitars for under $1,000 especially used ones. It all depends on the style of music he plays, what body style he likes, and so on. Have him go to a store and just play some that catch his eye. First you have to like the way it looks but then you have to like the way it plays and sounds. You could play 2 guitars that are the same brand and model and one can be awesome and the other could suck.

On a related note--

I loathed the Godin LG's body and finish when I first saw it. I thought, "Damn that's an ugly sort-of-Les-Paul thing." But I played it anyways. The moral of the story-- he should play some stuff that DOESN'T catch his eye, too.

Strange how things grow on you. :D

I would say go for a strat! you can get a good used strat w/case for under 1k if you are willing to look. I gota killer deal on mine (96 american standard, sunburst/ texas special upgarde, with hard case for 600 even). And the strats are so versatile, you can get a wide variety of stylistic tones out of it! Blues, country, rock, pop, metal (don't flame me, the janick and dave in Iron Maiden play them almost exclusively :D ). Only thing they suffer on is jazz! Even then SRV pulled off Kenny Burrell's "Chitlins Con Carne" off with one!

I said it once i'll say it again, Best thing for your friend to do is go to the music store and play all the different models they have for under 1k. That to me is probably the most important thing in looking for a guitar ,is how it feels to you. It could be one of the well known models and your hand wrapped around the neck playing and it feels all wrong...lol listen to "foreiner" "juke box hero"....."then he bought a six string at a second hand store couldn't play a lick but he knew for sure, that one guitar "felt good in his hands" dont take to understand....Definantly have your friend go by how the guitar feels to him not by how good it looks or the brand.

On a related note--

I loathed the Godin LG's body and finish when I first saw it. I thought, "Damn that's an ugly sort-of-Les-Paul thing." But I played it anyways. The moral of the story-- he should play some stuff that DOESN'T catch his eye, too.

Strange how things grow on you. B)

good point... I just know for me that all of mine got my attention by their looks but it was how they felt and played that made me wnat them. Kind of like women in a lot of ways. :D