Staining the top only?

Hi!

I've built a Korina guitar with a 5mm quilted maple top that I bent over the forearm contour. Now I realize how nice the figured Korina really looks and I want to leave it as it is and only stain the quilted maple. I want to dye it blue with black dye before in order to enhance the figure. I wan that the top is black at the outer edges just to the point where it meets the Korina. Is that possible without geeting dye on the Korina or should I not try to do that at all? What tricks are there to not get dye on the Korina? Masking tape?

Thanks in advance,

Marcel Knapp!

What will your final finish be? Because if you're going to do a high gloss your korina will need it's grains filled. I'd do that first, and use a heavier filler, like a trowel grade. That way you know it won't penetrate the maple even if you get it on there. (mask off the maple) But then you'd have the pores filled. Even if you sealed the korina, like with sanding sealer or a washcoat, yes the stain wouldn't "penetrate" but it could still get inside the holes and be a pain to dig out. I'd want those pores level. Then anything you get on there will pretty much wipe right off.

When you say you want the top black until it meets the edges, do you mean that you want it to have black in the figure all the way out to the edge? Or are you going to sunburst the blue to black? If you're bursting the edge then it doesn't matter since your black is applied over sealed wood. It will follow your mask line. You'd have tons of freedom not to get the blue (or black base) right up to the edge since the black burst will cover it. I imagine you meant the black dye though, and not a sunburst.

try vaseline round it so it doesnt get over the edges

Is this based on any experience, or is it a shot in the dark?

IMO getting vaseline on something you plan to finish is a potential disaster. I don't want to appear rude if this is a tried and tested technique you've used successfully, but it sounds more to me like a guess, and one which could really ruin somebodys week if they actually followed it...

with a porous wood like korina you would have a heck of a time getting it back out

I'm also thinking that trying to spray lacquer over porous wood contaminated with vaseline would be a nightmare of fisheyes, lacquer which won't stick or dry properly, and god knows what else!

Thanks for all the good advice.

I think that using vaseline is a bad idea as well and I doubt Biblical ever tried that method....But it could work....if you use water based dye then the vaseline could be able to protect the wood....I would not try it though....

But back to my questions:

What filler/sealer combo do you recommend? Is there a clear filler as well?

Thanks,

MK!

Is this based on any experience, or is it a shot in the dark?

IMO getting vaseline on something you plan to finish is a potential disaster. I don't want to appear rude if this is a tried and tested technique you've used successfully, but it sounds more to me like a guess, and one which could really ruin somebodys week if they actually followed it...

it was just a quick retarded idea that came into my head with no thought into it.

(special tip of the week)it does help repel hair dye from your forehead though

Be glad Perry hasn't read this yet :D

On a friendly note( B) ), please always make a remark that your thought is just an idea, not stated as if it was a fact, you could completely destroy an instrument someone had spent months on, following your advice, thinking it was fact. :D