building a neck.... the right way

I should have let you borrow my Melvyn Hiscock book "Make Your Own Electric Guitar" it would have explained the whole process for you. First off, you need to make sure you have the neck blank so it is quartersawn to the top, it just makes the neck stronger. Basically though, you need to draw a centerline to go by, and draw the neck out top and side. Then before you do anything else, you'll need to route the truss rod channel in the center with the appropriate sized bit, while all the sides are still square. The reason for drawing out the neck first is because you'll lose your centerline after you route. I even take a larger sized bit and route past where the nut was drawn out, toward the headstock so that it will leave room enough for truss rod adjustments, and that will leave you with a professional looking adjustment slot , that is if you want the adjustment to be at the headstock, which I strongly recommend. Like I said if I'd have thought of it, I'd have let you borrow that book.

If you're in a hurry to get a guitar-building book for fairly inexpensive, the Martin Koch book is what I went for. I'd like to have the Hiscock book, too, but it's "out of stock" on Chapters.ca, and who knows when (if) they'll get it in...

Anyhow, the Koch e-book is printable, and costs only 15 Euros, which isn't TOO bad. buildyourguitar.com

Nice looking hunka wood you got there, though. :D

Greg