Body Question

I'm going to try and build my first stratocaster type guitar in the next few months and I have a question about the body. All of the tutorials I have seen, have 2 peices of wood glued together to form the body. Why is it done this way?? wouldnt it be better if it was one solid peice of alder or ash?? And how much would it cost for a body blank size peice of Alder or ash in canada??

2 pieces works good glue em side by side to make one big piece, sum guitars have 4 two back 2 front like an lp, how many pieces you make it out of depends on the wood available to ya, theres always ebay if you cant find wood locally, as for price it depends on the kind of wood and the quality of it

MzI

Yeah, it is tough to find 1 piece of lumber big enough without it being 9 feet long also. (I just found that out when i went to Owl Hardwoods yesterday) but I also was told by the workers that if I was to get a solid piece it would more likely be slightly warped instead of true like it would be if you had two pieces jointed or glued up. Anyway, I went with the two piece ash and I'm building a strat too. Good luck!

I used 5 peices of Black Cherry for my Jackson replica, just make sure you plane each and all the glue edges and make sure they fit together with no seam, other wise it will look bad, and Wes, i agree with you a bit, but a one peice body will probaly be slightyly warped, unless made of acrylic of something, 2 or more peices is what I would use, IMO

Curtis

i disagree with the reason for using 2 piece bodies.the reason is that it is tough to find lumber large enough to make one piece bodies,so they glue them together.simple really.

Yeah. I think it's more so an avaliability issue.

How many peices would an American Fender Strat ash body from the 60's and 70's be made of??

I don't know if they were ash in the 60s, but I'd say 2 - 4 pieces, most likely 2, maybe 3 on the natural finish ash bodies of the 70's.