set neck

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok sorry im hijacking but wes you said bolting a set neck would be unstable, but isent that similar to a prs bolt in neck? How are PRS' stable???

PRS bolt ons are designed to be bolt ons.

You can also simply glue a fender neck onto a strat, to make it a set neck, but that doesnt means it was designed to be like that.

Guest AlexVDL
f3_3.JPG

Is it me or does the body looks to be made of plywood?

It could be one of those Memphis or Hondo explorer copies. But either way it still looks great! Could be a cool guitar :D

Ok sorry im hijacking but wes you said bolting a set neck would be unstable, but isent that similar to a prs bolt in neck? How are PRS' stable???

i said bolting THAT PARTICULAR set neck would be unstable because of the lack of wood thickness at the back of the neck pocket.when you tighten your bolts it would be likely to develop cracks over time,if not imediately,and then you would have alot tougher fix to do.right now it is simple...clean,glue,line up,and clamp.wait 24 hours minimum,then unclamp,string up,and done.

the thing to remember is that sometimes the proper fix is also the easiest one

i have a friend with a floyd floating bridge that hes offered to give to me, how hard would it be to replace this trem bridge with it?

If your in a rush to finish the guitar, and you dont want to glue the nck in because "bolts" are easier, i suggest you dont want to even THINK about a floyd installation.

it'll need to be recessed, and there for a refinish (at least partial) is required.

I'll ask again, what makes this guitar "vintage"?

gibson use titebond 2

I'd love to know where this gem came from...

FYI titebond II is not recommended for use in guitar building, since it has less creep resistance than the original formulation, doesn't set as hard, and it's only advantage is water resistance - not an issue for guitars which should be kept dry anyway.