ideas for 2 new projects

now im thinking of building my first neckthru guitar, it will either be a jem style guitar or a rhodes v (alexi laiho version) now if i build the jem its going to have a chrome vine of life with blue leds in the leafs and side dots and if i build the rhodes its going to be black with red pinstripes and a reaper inlay job, my question is this: where would i get the chrome inlay material for this and how difficult are leds to do? i have mentioned this to another forum and they suggested fibre-optics but stated that it is extreamly difficult to do.

now for the second question, im thinking of building my own combo using a pod or something like that (i saw one here and it struck a chord) but the only problem i have with this is that i would like a tube amp, so does anybody know of any high gain tube pre amp and a decent solid state amp to combine in one chassis? im looking at making a 100watt combo with celestions

you ask like 6 questions, you may want to give it more than 24hours before you start bugging people.. give it time and you will get answers, people are less likely to answer if you start getting inpatient

just my $0.02

First and foremost, if you are going to do LED's and a custom inlay, get used to the fact that you may have to build the neck from scratch.

You could get the neck from Carvin, but you would have to remove the fingerboard to do the LED's. And if you decide to skip that and just do the vine, you would have to remove the frets.

And possibly replace the fingerboard anyway...

While it's absolutely possible to do, the time and money you have to put into it, may not be worth it.

But that just my opinion...

:D

Regarding the dremel, that's up to you, dude. Whatever you're comfortable using. I'm not comfortable using ANYTHING, so a dremel or dremel-type tool (rotary tool) with a flex-shaft attachment sounds like the best way to go.

Plenty of people use a dremel without the flex shaft, from what I've seen.

And I imagine people have been doing inlays with only hand tools for centuries, so you have lots of other options. :D

alright guys, the body inlays become a concern for me with looking at it, that a hell of a lot of abalone, so im thinking im going to use that stewmac ablam for the body, will that work and still look good?

by the way here is what i had in mind for the project.

http://www.espguitars.net/gallery/overseas/alexi_laiho/

its the white one i like

does anybody know of any high gain tube pre amp and a decent solid state amp to combine in one chassis? im looking at making a 100watt combo with celestions

http://www.carvin.com/products/group.php?CID=GPRE

the behringer is not tube but it has alot of good,usable sounds...and it is very cheap...combine it with a tube power amp and presto!!!

now for the second question, im thinking of building my own combo using a pod or something like that (i saw one here and it struck a chord) but the only problem i have with this is that i would like a tube amp, so does anybody know of any high gain tube pre amp and a decent solid state amp to combine in one chassis? im looking at making a 100watt combo with celestions

if you want some real high-end stuff, i'd recommend an ENGL preamp. they are very expensive, but i think the money is well spent....