Oil finishs on necks?

Is there a oil that works well on necks? Will tung oil? Ernie ball Music Man uses some sort of oil and wax mixture...Is there any mixture of that type that i can use on a neck that will give me a clear appearace over a colored neck? Or a slightly dark tent to maple? I just finished a mandolin so, I might deside to oil it.

PS are there any good tutorials on rubbing on tung oil? If not does anyone have any tips? Does it work with painted bodys? I have only seen tung oil natural bodys..

I've heard good things about an oil finish called "tru-oil" http://www3.woodcraft.com/Finishing/woodwo...orking/3979.htm

although it says it "penetrates deeply", which is what many say is bad about some oil finishes, especially Watco brand.

But I have read that Tru-oil is supposed to be better than Watco and Tung oil for tone.

I've heard a little about using boiled linseed oil (linseed is also flax seed)

I think it's important that no matter which oil you use, you wipe a little on and then off right away, working in small sections. This way, you keep the "deep penetration" to a minimum. The more oil you let soak into the wood, the more it will dampen the wood's tone and sustain.

Do some searches on the different oils and the boiled linseed. I wish I had time to research it thoroughly.

The oil finishes feel much closer to bare wood than a top-coat finish, such as lacquer.

Further on this, has anyone heard of teak oil being used over there in the USA, on either necks or bodies?

:D

I really have no plans for the thickness and etc..I have a profile in my head I wanna use, Im gonna shape it after my Japanese Squire 86 Standard Strat neck, and have 24 frets, and have just the fret board and a little bit of maple come behind the neck joint for the last few frets, sorda like the way you do 22 fret necks. It should be a desent thickness, the tipical thickness of a strat neck, but with a domonate V shaping to it in the center, but rounded on the edges like a C shape neck..I have only seen bass graphite rods so, Im assuming that it isnt very common for someone to use them on a guitar, But im sure, no matter what, as long as i have the rod slots cut right, there would be no chance of twisting or warping...

I really have just random idea's about the whole project..Thats why I havnt made a HUGE jump in gettin started with it, to many ideas...

fyi carvin uses two graphite reinforcement rods plus truss rod on all their necks.i have two.very stiff.i was pondering the same thing on my first try in neck building.also wanted to make it a 5 piece laminate(korina with thin strips of bocote,ebony,or bubinga.)i know it's a tall order for my first neck but no guts no glory right.)besides i don't want any guitars hanging around that i'm not proud of.