Koa Kurl, Daddy-O...

Finally got a chance to toss some coat on the Koa...here's the results so far.

Lots left to do, but I'm lovin' it so far. The sides will be blacked out as well as the cavities.

I tried the neck on it, hoo-boy, it's gonna rawk!

The pic doesn't really show the refraction abilities of this wood. You turn it 1/4" and it just goes berserk with 'chatoyance' (hehehe) the figure dances like MAD I tell you! It's like a kaleidoscope of figure every time you move it at all.

PS, it was pore-filled with CA (superglue) and damn it's sweet not having to worry about filling pores with lacquer. It's mad flat right off.

KoaDaddy.jpg

Lacquered%20body%20close-nice.jpg

Lacquered%20upperhornclose.jpg

Lacquered%20w-neck.JPG

Ed, I got that piece from e-Bay for about $50.00. It was advertised as a gunstock blank. It was a very rough-hewn piece of wood in the pic and it was very hard to make out the figure hidden beneath, but I thought I spotted some telltale signs of figure, so I gave it a shot. When I finally got it sawn up, I was blown away with what I found inside.

The controls will be:

Volume

Tone

EMG EXG

EMG SPC

EMG Afterburner pre-amp

I'm considering putting a Ghost acoustic simulator system on it too.

Haven't decided on pkps yet, but I'm thinking Fralin Broadcaster 5% underwound for the bridge (gotta have that twang), or a Harmonic Design Tele Vintage+, a Barden Strat Deluxe in the middle, and a Lace Sensor (Hot Gold or Holy Grail) in the neck.

DANG. Nice. To be honest, the pearloid binding looks kind of cheap and flashy compared to that figure IMHO, but it's still amazing.

A neat little tidbit I just found out: even though Koa comes from Hawaii, it is actually shipped to the Seattle area for the most part to be milled into boards. Any Koa you find in Hawaii is lower quality, because all the best stuff stays in Seattle, and costs more.

I found this out because I was in Hawaii over break and was visiting various cabinet shops for some Koa deals, only to find that none were to be found. :D

Oh well.

VERY nice guitar, anyway. Good figured Koa can go for as much as $50 a BF, so you really got a good deal (I think). How thick is the top?

Nice bit of info on the Koa, skibum. I should look around since I'm in Tacoma about 30 miles south of Seattle.

After seeing Draks wood (hehe) I'd like to try some out.

Beautiful top Drak. :D

I'd love to see that 3D effect in person since pics only show a little bit of the true beauty. (but your photography skills still do a great job at showing it).

A neat little tidbit I just found out: even though Koa comes from Hawaii, it is actually shipped to the Seattle area for the most part to be milled into boards. Any Koa you find in Hawaii is lower quality, because all the best stuff stays in Seattle, and costs more.

I got this from a hawian dealer so there must be some good wood there. To be fair this was by far the best koa that he had.

I got mine from this guy. He no longer shows pictures of the sets on his site but I'm sure he will work with you to find what you want and send pix before you buy. He's a very nice guy and the service was second to none. His prices seem high but I found nothing even close to the wood he offers.

Don't get me wrong, there are (naturally) Hawaiian koa dealers, but that was info I learned from a cabinet-maker in Maui. I'm SURE some koa stays in the islands, to be sure. BTW Drewblanc, that is the best top I HAVE EVER SEEN!!! How much did that cost you?!!! :D

Yours is nice too, Drak. B)

I suppose a big reason most of it is shipped out is that it's more cost effective than shipping out a lot of small parcels. I wouldn't be suprised if that changes as koa becomes more scarce.

I need to dig out the invoice but I think I paid about $300 for two consecutive sets. That one is 5/8 and I have it's 1/4" twin that will become a twelve string someday. My tastes lean more towards plain wood with a marquetry inlay but both me and my buddy I'm building this for fell in love with it.

And now back to our regularly scheduled thread: Drak, that is one damned nice looking guitar. If you need someone to test it out I'll send you my shipping address. :D

It did come quite close actually.

I had to glue on a very small 'patch', about 1.5" by 1", on the upper outer tips of both sides, but if I didn't tell you, I bet you'd never even see them, they blend in almost perfectly. B)

king's x, gunstock blanks are usually sold in a triangular form, as stones was inferring to, and yes, mine was triangular, and I 'just' pulled it out.

Perfect for V's tho! :D