Projects I am working on.

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

sct4.jpg

Notice how uncentered the whole thing os? I reshaped the body to look more symetrical, and finishing will commence within a month. Kinda taking my time now. I did the black and am getting ready to sand it

As for not scrapping it, there is an explanation. I would never forgive myself if I didnt at least try my best to make it work. The quality of woods, I've been kicking myself for what I did since I realized how horrible it looked. It will be a fixed bridge BTW.

Got a nice burst done from cans on that, and thew tele is done. I'll post a few pics before long.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks decent. Much better than your first attempts. I am still a little curious as to why you settled for those rear routs. They look kind of sloppy to me. Are ypu using templates or going freehand? Also, the ferruls (sp?) look off. You look like youre headed in the right direction though I guess. I would just try and get each piece (routs, finish, etc..) perfect before you move on to somthing else. How does it sound?

I don't relish saying this, but it looks to me like you're settling again. I understand the urge to rush towards the end of a project, but you run the risk of compromising the quality of your end result, and I think you've done that.

As Jay pointed out, your covers don't fit and your ferrules are unevenly spaced and positioned. It also looks like your back could do with a *proper* sanding with a flat block (it looks nearly flat, but not quite) and your top needs wetsanding and a buff out to get rid of that orange peel. I'd also prefer to see a radius on the back edge of the body.

You've stressed the need for honest critiques of peoples work, so sorry if this isn't as positive as you'd have liked, but God-damnit, I want to see you turn out a really killer guitar. You can do it, but this isn't it. You did a great job jointing the top, and the neck pocket looks nice and tight, but the rest is letting it down.

**Edit**

Having seen the fullsize, full colour pics on Litch's new 'forum' I take back the comment about the top jointing, You did a sloppy job, with several grand-canyon-like gaps, and glue discolouration all around the joint. At least you're consistent.

Yeah, I guess editting this was pretty childish. :D

Well... I've been following this thread for a while, and I will agree, litchfield has done a kind of rush job. While I havent built any guitars (yet), I have spent a good few years building and flying model airplanes. I know the best way to build an airplane that people will drool over and will get you props at the flying feild is to take your time, settle for nothing less then your best work, and most import is to study the work of the pros and people you look up to. This combonation of things will ensure your succes in airplane building, guitar building, and life.

From what I have seen from your other works, and this, you need to work on a couple things here:

Method- As I have said, its best to study the building methods and techniques of the more experienced builders on this site. Closely examining, and following, their assembly procedures will be of a significant benefit to you.

Patience- A lot of your work needs more time put into it, in order to be its best. Stuff like the string furrules on that tele being unevenly spaced.... thats just lazyness. If you want a guitar to look its best, your best will have to be put into it.

If you take this advise, you will become a better builder because of it. If you don't, your guitars will probably end up looking the same as your tele. Its all up to you. This is in no way meant as a bashing post, or flame, or insult. It is my own opinion about what could make you a better luthier, and raise you one step closer to the top.

Paul

well said paul. taking your time on a project really helps the outcome, and lessens chances of mistake.

welcome to the forums too.

*off topic* my friend flies model airplanes, just ARF ones right now but im trying to convince him to get a cap232, my fave style.

Well, about the orang peel, ect. I did my prelinary setup, intonation, ect. The thing sounded so good, I had to wait til the next string change to fix the clear. There is more wrong there than the pics show. The ferrules arent too far off, but that's mostly due to the markings supposedly being right, and the drill press operator screwing up, along with other factors. I agree that it is better than past works, but still not the best I can do. Over at Drak's castle, this would have met the wall of death. I dont have a WOD, but I do have a pick. :D The smiley face array of the ferrules combined with the TOM, did pose some problems that I didnt get past, or realize I didnt until it was too late. Doesnt hurt anything tonally or playing wise.

Yeah, you need to slow down.

I wouldn't put the bridge on or even think about strings or a setup until the finish is perfect. Doing a full setup and then having to disassemble the guitar to wet-sand the finish strikes me as a bass-ackwards way to do things. Patience!

And "the drill press operator" screwed up? You had somebody else drill the holes for you? :D

When things are supposed to be evenly spaced, and even one of them is off by a fraction of a millimetre, it throws everything off. The human eye will pick stuff like that up. The ferrules may not be "too far off", but they look awful.

You've made some big improvements on this project... overall, your Tele looks much better than your previous efforts in terms of the quality of your joints and how it's put together. But then it falls apart in the details... the rough routing on the hollow chambers, the poor fit on the control cavity plates, the mis-spaced ferrules.

Patience!

well said paul. taking your time on a project really helps the outcome, and lessens chances of mistake.

welcome to the forums too.

*off topic* my friend flies model airplanes, just ARF ones right now but im trying to convince him to get a cap232, my fave style.

Thanks, asm. You have to make sure your friend has the skill to fly the CAP before he buys it, though. :D

Enough hijacking, time to get back to the thread B)

Paul

And "the drill press operator" screwed up? You had somebody else drill the holes for you?  :D

No I ean the drill press. I made the boo boo.

I also put the guitar together before all the finishing was done to make sure it was all set for go. I'd hate to have to redo the finish AFTER I was completely done.

Edited by litchfield