Show me some designs...

This is funny. I just cut my first scarf joint for a headstock (about 12 degrees). My aim was for a Gibson style headstock which is 7" long but after "truing" the wood joint, ie. sanding and squaring I found I took too much wood out. Now my headstock is about 5" long. I'd still like to stick with the Gibson design but don't want to crowd the tuners too much. If anyone has any alternate ideas for a short 3/3 headstock design I'm open for suggestions. Nothing like a challenge I always say. :D

abs_hdstk02.jpg

what bout that?? thats what I am doing, I was going warlock, but ohh god, it didnt look too good on the body of a Randy Rhoads V.........................

Curtis

Wait, this going on an SG????? maybe you can modify that one so the top splits into to horns, that could be real killer

Curtis

Hmmm, my last guitar was an arrowhead headstock so I'd like to steer clear of doing that again. I like the Musicman idea, unfortunately, thats a 4/2 tuner arrangement and I already have a set of 3/3 Grovers to go on the guitar. I might see if a local guitar shop is willing to trade me a bass side tuner for one of my treble side tuners. I'll figure something out. :D Thanks for the input so far!

Anytime someone posts a link for something in Carvin, I always get redirected to "carvinworld.com" index page. This happen to anyone else?

Back on topic-- some of those ones on the Roman site were actually not bad for compact headstocks. I was surprised. And I really like the pterydactyl for a future project. :D

Greg

are you going to add a veneer to the head? If so you can add some wood to increase the headstock size you want and as long as you keep the tuning machines on the main section and just use the added word for decoration that should work fine. If you venner the headstock you would never see the joint from the front.

The headstock is too SHORT, its not a thickness issue, I still have about 1" thickness to play with. The reason why its short is because I'm going for a 24 fret neck. I see that nobody around town has Grover tuners to trade in their spare parts drawers. Who wants to break up a set of good machined tuners like Grovers anyway? I like the Musicman headstock idea, thanks Marcel! I guess I'll scavenge one off my Fender Newporter and then replace the rest with a set of cheaper ones. They never fit right on that guitar anyway.

Wouldn't a 4+2 be more crowded?

Thats possible, but the sides on the Gibson style are straight. I would get more length to play with using an angled style headstock. Anyway, I'll deal with that problem when I get to it, :D . The funny part is, the MM has a strat side profile whereas I plan on using a Gibson profile. My last guitar was a 3/3 arrangement but has a strat profile, go figure.

• 3 years later...

Southpa, did you ever finish this one? Can you post a pic?

I'm looking into using a stubby headstock design --I have a couple of nice mahogany neck blanks, except they're too short for a conventional electric (my guess is that they were meant for acoustic guitars but the seller 'forgot' to mention that part). I don't like scarf joints, so that's out.

Anyway, I'm not planning to build an acoustic (yet :D ). So I'm looking into shorter headstock designs. So far, I've found these:

th_raptorheadstock.jpg th_wolfgangheadstockfront.jpg th_musicman_headstock.jpg th_180px-Cort_headstock.jpg th_evh-new-wolfgang-neckheadstock.jpg

Any issues in using a shorter headstock? I'd lean toward a 3x3, since it's easier to find tuners. Any other stubby headstocks out there?

Oh yeah, if anyone has any of these guitars, could you post the total length of the neck?

Wow, a thread from the dead! :D Yeah Mick, heres a pic, the headstock is on my 24 fret SG build.

Headstock1.jpg

I juuuust managed to shoehorn the tuners on, a little on the tight side as far as spacing goes but still functional. It turned out to be a nice guitar and was entered into GOTM over a year ago , I think. Its all a blur these days. :D But 5" is about the limit for a scarf jointed headstock that should be 7 1/4" long.

http://www3.telus.net/Alsplace/Guitars/SG_front.jpg

headstock.jpg

Current project.

Just about 5 and 3/16" inches from the tuner side of the nut to the tip. Could easily have been a little shorter by moving the tip in, which was in the original plan.

The copper leafing looks a little weird in this photo.

Southpa - love the finish on that truss rod cover - how did you make that? (or did it come that way?) I've done that type of thing on aluminum before, but that almost looks like a multi-ply pickguard material in that pic. (Is the light just playing tricks on me?)

Hey, Southpa, that looks pretty good --maybe change the buttons for minis?

Can you guys give me the total length of your necks --from headstock tip to heel?

I'll probably end up with something more along the lines of that Ernie Ball Music Man --I've always liked that 4+2 design. And I like fairly narrow, scooped headstocks. My concern/question though is whether there's an issue with mass with the smaller headstocks.

20 and 3/8 inches from tip of headstock to where the neck joins the body (halfway between 15th and 16th frets) on the bass side, just under 24 inches to the end of the fretboard. A little awkward to measure 'cause of the scarf joint - I'm measuring "straight", which I suppose doesn't take into consideration the length of the scarfed section? But you aren't going with a scarf joint, so maybe my numbers are useless anyway.

Howzabout using those blanks to make shorter scale guitars? (Like a Mustang, etc.) or electric mandolins or other stringed instruments? (Or learn to like scarf joints. :D )

Oooh! I know! I want to see you build a *headless* version of the longhorn!