Recommend pick ups

Maher

carvin pickups all the way, get the catalog they have the freq response curve on there.

Ditto on the EMGs.. Not keen on active stuff.. They tend not to let your guitar's tonal character through, I feel..

that is a myth...i guess i have to say this at least once a month...i have 5 guitars with emg 81s at the bridge....the neck pickup varies between an 85 and an 81...

every guitar sounds completely different because of the hardware and woods used...the only thing the 81 does that others don't is give it a higher output with lower background noise and a sharper attack

the tone is up to you and the guitar

THANK YOU, WES!! :D I hear this all the time too - what utter crap. EMGs put out a hot, clean signal that doesn't color your guitar's tone - if the guitar sounds good, it'll still sound good with EMGs. I think the thing people find so unnerving is the unattenuated range that they have, since active pickups are by nature less susceptible to treble loss, but that's why there's a tone stack in your amp. Why would tone-freaks like Dave Gilmour and Vince Gill use 'em if they obscured the sound of the guitar? Sorry, didn't mean to rant, but guitarists are such superstitious critters that myths like this go from some off-hand comment to accepted knowledge in no time, and pretty soon they're being repeated by folks who've never heard a set of EMGs in a decent guitar, much less played one. :D Please don't take any of this personally, I'm not gunning for anyone around here, and no offense was meant to present company, I just talk to the mentally-challenged masses about these things on a regular basis, and the misinformation that has found its way into guitar lore drives me crazy! B) (yeah, I'm not obsessive or anything... well, maybe a little)

BTW, I like the Lawrence Tele pickups, too, but I'm not even going to go into that. :D

haaaaaaaaaaa ok i am not trying to start a war here, and i use emg's so i am not dissing them, and if you do have a good sounding guitar u will have a good sounding guitar with emgs in it. however if you think there is no coloration to the sound, you are truely mistaken. even emg's techs will vouch for this.

but on the dare and to finally shut up a few people i know, we took an ibanez neck and attached it to a plywood board and stung it up with emg's and there wasn't any difference between it and the ibanez570

i think the higher quality guitar you have of course the more sound will transfer but they do have a preset freq curve to the pickup. although it has been shown that the singles have a better freq response than the humbuckers.

if i hadn't had the computer crash then i would gladly shared the graphs we saved

however if you think there is no coloration to the sound, you are truely mistaken. even emg's techs will vouch for this.

coloration yes...but no more than any other pickup...think about it logically...what magical preamp is going to make ALL GUITARS sound the same through it...

answer?...none.

it is just like an eq...it colors the sound...but since every guitar has a different tonal starting point...the the end tone is also different.

and your plywood test?i suspect they were not the same except in the most superficial manner...like i said....5 guitars with the same bridge pickup which sound completely different do not lie

I never said EMGs were bad, my bass is armed with a P-J set, but I didn't know EMGs could do a Tele tone. I now know better!

i am not familar with that set....and really for a tele i would not reccomend emg without hearing them first....i have never heard a twang of any sort from an emg :D

and really for a tele i would not reccomend emg without hearing them first....i have never heard a twang of any sort from an emg

Thass' cuz you don' own no barnslammerin' who-daddin' dad-blamed TELECASSTER WES!

Them's EMG's is jusssta twaaangin' anna twitchin' fer Vince Gill there good buddy.

I thank yew anna yer liddle filly needs to go a boot-scootin' some fiyne satoorday naught Wes! :DB):D:D

I never said EMGs were bad, my bass is armed with a P-J set, but I didn't know EMGs could do a Tele tone. I now know better!

i am not familar with that set....and really for a tele i would not reccomend emg without hearing them first....i have never heard a twang of any sort from an emg :D

Victor Wooten uses the P-J set, as well as some other artists. Great versatility, with the distinctive EMG sparkle all the way to Thumpin' warm-you-up-inside P bass goodness.

I want to try the 7 string 81/85 set on my next bass, seeing as they're in the 35 series casing...