Crazy Liscened Floyd Roses!

Daniel

Hey guys I need some help here. I got a '96 Ibanez RG 270, with the crappy Floyd Rose. I'm wondering what type of Floyd Rose could replace it(preferably from www.dreamlandguitars.com) Just wondering if I could use OFR or Lo-Pro or what. If you need a picture I'll try to get one up soon. Thanks!

36 views and not one reply. Come on. I know plenty of you have RGs that you turned into JEMs that have Floyd Rose. I'm just wondering if I have to do some routing on my RG or if I can just set up the Floyd Rose wihout routing. Also wondering what type of Floyd Rose. Don't make me go email you guys :D

I don't think you were asking which floyd people prefer though, right? You need to know what will work with the least modifications?

I admit that I'm a little confused over the whole "licensed" thing lately. OFR's are now made by Schaller, right? Schaller also makes a "licensed" version of it. The one that has the Schaller name on it is by far my favorite (the 14" radius floyd that stewmac and warmoth sell). This is just a personal preference thing but I've read that the Schaller floyd has a bit more mass and I think has improved hardened edges. I've used them in 3 guitars now with the stewmac posts/bushings and they return to pitch about as perfectly as my ears can hear. There's something about the feel of them also (this may just be in my head) - the Schallers feel smooth to me.

Anyway, I don't know which if any are going to go in easily as a replacement. If you do end up needing to replace the posts/bushings - check out the stewmac parts. They are not a direct replacement for other floyd parts but they seem to be more durable than the ones that come with the floyds (any of them) in my limited experience using them.

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

My problem with the shallers is the knife edges are inserts, the base is thicker, and not hardened as well, and it is just cheap looking to me.

My problem with the shallers is the knife edges are inserts, the base is thicker, and not hardened as well, and it is just cheap looking to me.

Hmm, well everyone has their favorites for some reason I guess - I must say that I have never looked at them and thought - hey that's cheap looking. The inserts really aren't that noticable to me but even if they were - it wouldn't bother me. The main thing I guess is the performance which is where I think it really shines.

Supposedly, there is a difference in sound (I'm not gonna say tone) between the two - supposedly the Schaller has a "warmer" sound due to it's construction. I haven't tried putting one of each into the same guitar to test that theory.

Speaking of cheap - how did those floyds that you bought on ebay (I think?) end up working for you? I think you said they only cost about $50.00, right? Are they any good? Are they hardened steel like the OFR? Any idea who makes them?

Speaking of cheap - how did those floyds that you bought on ebay (I think?) end up working for you? I think you said they only cost about $50.00, right? Are they any good? Are they hardened steel like the OFR? Any idea who makes them?

Now THEY... were cheap looking trems...

PUT IN A SCHALLER...PUT IN A SCHALLER! anyone who knows me is sick of hearing me say that. but i had a terrible trem in by ibanez (low TRS2 trem) which went out of tune with a sneeze.i got a OFR by schaller off stew mac, which meand no routing or mods whatsoever. now it literally never goes out of tune. its unbelieveable. i hear people on about ibanez edge trems, but i dont know how they could be better than this as it is perfection. its dear enouth ( $175 i think when i got mine a year and a half ago) but its sooooooooo worth it. you couldnt do a better upgrade.

Hey man dont have a go at me, i was honestly confused, i had heard comments around the place that Shaller make the original floyd rose trems now, and yet still make their own licensed copy, so when you said OFR by Shaller, i wasnt sure what you meant. No only that, but im new to the world of FR trems in general, so i was after a bit of clarification.

Jeez, no need to blow it out of proportion. But then again... your comments were fair... im a rude, demented young man who uses my very small knowledgebase to pick on every mistake EVERYONE makes on the forum :D