I hadn't been working in the fisheries field in a few years now and am resuming some contacts from those days. I only learned today that a good friend of mine out in Ucluelet BC passed away a little over a year ago. Hume Eyford was a damn good guitar player and knew his way around a fret job. His best years were in the 60's 70's and 80's, touring around the Island with bands and generally sitting in for studio and stage work. He collaborated with Colin James before Colin James' even began his ride to fame and fortune.

Hume didn't take care of himself very well, he liked his beer and let his teeth go bad. He left behind a beautiful daughter, Elise, who I hired for one season, and he put his son through university. Any money left over he drank. I still have the Musicman amp and roadcase I bought from him back in 1997, I can only guess why he needed the money so badly. I also have the Fender Newporter acoustic, badly broken at the time, that I bought off him for 50 bucks. At least he got to see how I repaired it and got to play it again. He was in his early 50's and I heard his heart finally gave out. If you were in a jam he wouldn't hesitate to pitch in and help you out. I can still remember him showing me how to replace a U-joint on my truck.

I'm only mentioning this because folks can change over the years. Near the end of Hume's life he was sinking into a "town drunk" reputation. I've seen it happen many times in many places. But everyone has that wide eyed, "innocent" past full of hopes and dreams. I'll miss his raspy, cackly laugh that I heard so often. He always managed to keep his sense of humor, right to the very end. For that matter, I can't recall when I've ever seen him get angry. Heres to you Bud.