Randy Rhoads Rulz

Wouldnt normally post unfinished projects, unless its just one or two shots, but i know there are a few Randy Rhoads fans in here, so what the hell....

This is what the finish job will look like, x 2!

sandoval3.jpg

So far, 25 hours in total, for both guitars. That includes doing all the inlays, templates, machining, selecting and purchasing timbers, gluing up the neck laminations, etc etc.

plan5.jpg

109-0946_IMG.JPG

109-0964_IMG.JPG

112-1262_IMG.JPG

112-1267_IMG.JPG

112-1277_IMG.JPG

112-1280_IMG.JPG

112-1290_IMG.JPG

113-1303_IMG.JPG

:D

Yeah!!! What are you going to put in them for electronics/pickups?

Have you ever put in one of those momentary kill switches that I think Randy used (at least on the live tribute CD it sounded that way)?

Ive got the pickup specs somewhere, i think its a Dimarzio PAF and a Jazz, but i'll have to double check. Same as Randy had anyway (ive got a scan of the original work order he had with Sandoval). I "might" add coil splitting for number 2, which is for a local store, unless its sold before.

The switching was simply turn off the neck volume, turn up the bridge, and flick the three way toggle in between the pickups. Love that effect.

anyone notice the onalys are totally different between 1 and 2?

Yup, they are bowties. Randy (in Quiet Riot) always wore both bow ties, and polka dot outfits.

How can i make two guitars to that stage in 25 hours? Easy, the right tools for the job, five routers (only set them up once each, six including the dremel), and all tools laid out within easy reach. Of course, the more you make, the faster they get. As for templates, apart from the general trem and pickup templates, the rest had to be made (body and headstock). Oh, and correct, accurate, easy to read plans always help. Means im confident in the sizing, and dont need to triple check everything.

i alway's thought they were propellor inlay's as one of his favourite hobbies where flying planes? :D

Ummm, he actually had a huge fear of flying, which makes the entire crash thing a real wierd one... why did he get in that plane for a joy flight??