strat fretboard

whitch is better on a 3-tone strat?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Rosewood is by far the better choice in my opinion. I have several reasons:

1. Rosewood will never look dirty

2. Rosewood after being worn in feels much nicer to me

3. Rosewood gives the strat the best and most balanced sound. The strat is a guitar with alot of highs. A maple fingerboard contributes to this even more. A rosewood board gives a little darker sound and tames some of the highs, resulting in my favorite guitar sound of all time. Of course this is a matter of taste....some people love the highs the maple fingerboard gives. In my opinion the roswood gives the perfect balance between lows & highs. I think you should play test both. It is definately not the case that one option is better or worse....it's simply different.

P.s.: I own a made in usa roswood strat since 8 years and it is by far my favorite guitar, so I know what I am talking about from direct expirience. Adding a humbucker in the bridge position is the way to go for distorted heavier sounds though....

HTH,

Marcel Knapp!

:D I kinda agree with everybody so far (helpful, huh?), it's all about what you prefer. I personally love the feel of a rosewood (or even ebony, but who can afford that?) f'board, but I also think the maple board adds to the essential "Strat-iness" of the guitar's sound, so if I was going to have one guitar, I'd probably go with rosewood, but if I was adding a Strat to the "arsenal" because I wanted that classic Strat sound, I'd probably go for maple for maximum twang. And if I wanted something with a hum at the bridge (no offense, Marcel), I'd grab my Ibanez.

I have a G&L S-500 (My baby, Leo Fender signature model) with a maple neck that I've played for 11 years. I love the dirty look where I've worn through the finish at my favorite fret positions. I also love how it sounds clean and fingerpicked. Nothing like the sound of all 3 pickups on, fingerpicking on a maple neck strat. :D

I also have a rosewood fb strat that I've modified. I love the sound of it with a little distortion on the neck pickup. Great blues tone.

Think Buddy Guy tone for maple and Stevie Ray Vaughan tone for rosewood.

Maple= Bright tone, more high end. I find it is really responsive to pick attack/dynamics.

Rosewood= Dark tone, more mid-range to bass. Just sounds heavier to me. Down and dirty, in-your-face when distorted.

Both are VERY cool just different. B)

My ramblings are subjective of course not to mention from a blues player's view.

Go play both and decide for yourself. :D :D

Well, maple DOES look pretty sharp, and I don't mind that 'dirty' look either.

But I'm still a rosewood man. Strats have enough bite as it is. :D