My new build

Hi guys,

You might remember that I made my first guitar a few months ago, a sorta back to front firebird thing made from ash.... well here is the sequel, i've not stopped building since the first one.

It's inspired by both the Gibson and Yamaha SG's spec wise it goes a little like this...

One piece (very heavy) chambered paduak body, bokkmatched (crappy) flame top, a pair of Gotoh P90's with just the standard wiring config, maple and rosewood neck and a (very) flamed maple backplate!

It's not one for the metal fans out there, very bluesy sound...

Happy with: The look and sound, plays well too.

Would change: If I had the skills/tools i'd make my own set neck, as it is it's a bolt on paddle neck that I modded. At some point a pair of Duncans should go in it, and finally i'd spend some time getting the finish that bit shinier.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about it, and if it's positive I might even enter it for GOTM.... maybe

a6c0.jpg

540f.jpg

1d85.jpg

1b7b.jpg

EDIT: Cheers all for the help with the images! I am a doofus

Nice! :D

I see what you mean about the neck - It looks good as is, but once you're making your own you'll be able to integrate it more seamlessly. How's it sound? I imagine it's got a pretty mean treble going on, what with padauk and maple, and a p90 that close to the bridge!

thanks guys, I've only been able to have a quick go plugged in as I only finished it yesterday afternoon.

It's pretty trebletastic, but not overly and I think the chambering helps knock that off a bit.

I have to say i'm pretty pleased with this for a second attempt and with so little experience....

Got to have a break from building for a while cos the house is still covered in orange dust and sandpaper and I think the missus is getting a little annoyed!

It was originally designed to be a 24 3/4" scale which is why the "f" (or S) hole is higher than usual but when the neck arrived it was totally different to the picture!

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about it, and if it's positive I might even enter it for GOTM.... maybe

Ya think? That is one sweet looking guitar. Enter it today!

I do agree with Setch that if you made the neck it could be designed with the overall guitar in mind. But it is still a really nice guitar. The lines look good, the binding came out great, and the finish looks smooth. I also love the Padauk color with the top color. Nice work!

I like it beaucoup! Not too often (ie. for me, never) that you see a semi-hollow SG. :D I totally agree with some of the above comments:

-binding is nice

-colours complement each other well (VERY well)

-nice classic electronics make this a guitar with a mission, not a jack-of-all-trades

A few other comments, though:

-For me, a higher-gloss finish would have taken it to the next level

-The interesting neck-access carve has its aesthetics diminished by the strat/tele bolt-on plate. I wonder if there's still time to modify it to accept bolts with individual washers, or is it absolutely mission-critical to have that plate?

-Not even from a sound, but just from a 'looks' point of view, I find the bridge pickup to be a bit too close to the bridge.

Way excellent for a second attempt!

Greg

I'm with you on most of the points, I guess I just hadn't thought too much about pickup positions!

I'd love to do something better with the neck plate, I was thinking at the very least I could recess it a bit, or use inserts, it doesn't look to hot! Maybe just some washer or something? Who knows! With the finish, i could still get the front more gloss with some extra buffing effort, the back is oil and wax and will never be REALLY shiny, I just like that kind of finish just for ease of repair etc.. I'm incredibly impatient so I think I'll slowly improvew on both the guitars i've made, I have a black ice unit ready to go into one of them. hurr hurr.

Cheers for the comments its all very constructive.

Fabulous work mate, inspirational!

I love the way the colour and grain of the fretboard works with the blue figured top. Although the top might have 'crappy' figure, I think its beautiful in its own way

great work!

Well my confidence has been boosted by all this positive energy so I've entered it into GOTM, I dream of a framed pic of my guitar on the home page of projectguitar.com sad but true.

I do wish I'd spent a bit more cash on a better piece of wood for the top, but this is the first time I've tried a lot of different construction methods and I didn't want to ruin the good stuff. I'm already planning a fretless Mosrite inspired Bass, might be time to stick my neck (sic) on the line and build the whole thing. My house is filling with guitars, shame i'm such a rubbish player!

B):D

I like the top. The more time I spend looking at various guitars, the more interested I am in "imperfect" grain and figure.

I'll still do a lovely quilt some day like Myka's blue one (where the hell is that drool emoticon? ah, there it is: :D ), but I'm getting pulled in other directions lately. I think it looks great.

For the neck attachment, I was thinking something along the lines of THESE, though I'm sure you can find something similar locally without having to order these specific ones.

Greg

It is Blocky! You try planing Paduak down! The stuff I've got is REALLY hard!

I have some handy hints to share that I hit on while making this pointy beast.

1) Put the jack socket nearer the strap pin, it doesn't get in the way of you leg when playing sat down.

2) Instead of recessing the whole bridge on a stoptail/tune o matic just do the top part of the studs, i've sunk 'em flat to the body and it knocks 2mm off the height, means you need less of an angle or a raised fingerboard.

Thanks for all the kind words fellas, i'll take all the negatives on board for any future projects.

• 2 years later...

My first visit to Project Guitar in several years! I'm really pleased to see its still up and running and people keep churning out quality work, this forum was a giant help to me while I was making my first efforts :D

I haven't touched a router or buffed a finish since as I moved house and have no garden or shed to play around in, but I hope to remedy that soon and recapture the guitar bug!

Anyway, I just popped back here to fix my image links in case anyone was interested.