The fretboard that goes with the orchids.

Hi everyone.

Here is the fretboard that goes with the orchids headstock I posted a while back. Again the edges are not fit yet, so once it is installed it will look normal, with the scene originating from the very edge.

This inlay totalled around 140-ish or so pieces when it was done, including the 41 pieces for the headstock.

The hummingbird is about 35 or more pieces with the feathers being seperate cut, and the orbweaver spider web is engraved, and filled with silver dust.

I'll try to get finished guitar pics from John Kinnaird (luthier) when it's done.

Thanks for looking, and for your always wonderful support!

I'll see whoever is going to the World Guitar Congress this coming week.

smallfullboard.jpg

smalllowerboard.jpg

smalllowerladybug.jpg

smalltwigandspider.jpg

smallspider.jpg

smalluppertwig.jpg

Holy jumpin Jehosephat. (or however that's spelled)

Un-be-lee-va-bull.

You, my friend, are a monster. A machine. But one with a soul.

:D

Clavin, I have lost all respect for you. Those clearly weren't done by human hands, so the only possible conclusion is that you are in fact an alien with superhuman inlay powers. :D

In all seriousness, however, amazing job. You just keep crankin out these AMAZING inlays, and it's a little overwhelming at times. Keep it up! B):D:D

My response must be: Holy *%^^&$&^ and other things my mother won't let me say.

Clavin you do great work. Both in the concept and the execution of the concept. 1st rate work all around.

Question: Do you have a web page to show off the work you do, or is just posted here? Because if you don't have a web site dedicated to your work, you should. It is wonderful stuff.

Take care and take more pics.

Guitar Ed

Thanks Guys.

This one took about a week and a half, and was challenging at times. The spider was a first for me, but it turned out O.K. I was a little flustered at first. Every now and then you do the concept art without regard for the execution. Then you look at it during the execution stage and go "oh S*&t" how am I going to actually DO that??

Yes I do have a website.

My website is :

www.handcraftinlay.com

All of my works are viewable there. These and a few more are not up yet, but will be soon.

I assure you they are all done by hand, no CNC. All done completely by me. Now and then I have added input during the design stages from owners, players, luthiers, etc.. or constraints I need to adhere to, but it's all just one guy doing it.

Thanks. I have more coming soon!

Damn fine work sir! I'd really like to see some pics of how you actually cut the pieces. Must take an extreme amount of control and patience, something we all strive for. Regarding the solid inlay pieces that span over fret slots...when installing the frets, are the fret tangs notched to pass over the inlay piece? or is it better to cut the slot all the way thru the piece and press in a full fret?

Regarding fretting- With large amounts of inlay passing through fret spaces it's best to either sand away the fret tangs and glue them in, or cut the inlay so it stops at each fret just ahead of the fret slot. The latter takes a lot more time, and since I normally don't know what size frets are being installed it's risky for me to do that. I really don't want the image looking like it ends before the fret gets to cover it.

I have the luthiers prep the frets and glue them.

Craig

So how do you go about drwaing up these concepts. Do you do it in colorat the concept stage or do you let your materials help you make that decision? O and of course, KILLER WORK!!!!! the spider looks so realistic it kind of creeps me out!

Funny you mention that hotrock. If you throw a spyhopping orca into the mix then I am doing something very very close to that soon. A calm sea with an orca.

I'll post it when it's done, the art is all drawn up, no parts yet. It may be a while.

Thanks.

Craig.

B):D

Clavin;

Gorgeous work as usual. All of your work displayed here and on your site is absolutely fabulous.

I just wish I could afford to have you do a Dragon's neck inlay on a fret board for the custom I am building now, but it would cost more than the entire guitar to have it done, so I will just continue to drool over your leetness!!!!!! :D:D

I spend my time drawing up concepts based mostly on client requests. The first thing I do is lay out the guitar pattern outline, headstock shape, etc.. that is my "drawing board".

Then I decide what positions are unique, etc.. I don't ever do color drawing beforehand because they will never really match the materials correctly. It's all done with a pencil and paper in black and white. I keep color photos and books nearby, and then after it's drawn spend a few hours looking at my materials, and thier figure and tones and do my best to match the patterns and colors to the actual image. It's one of the fun parts. I have a supply of over 100 materials on hand, and special order what I need for special projects.

This particular inlay has (materials):

yellow corian

black pearl

light pipestone

mother of pearl

sugalite stone

gold pearl

gaspeit stone

obsidion stone

silver dust

pink coral stone

red abalone heart

spiny oyster stone

pink mussel shell

paua shell

Too many people go about inlay with a design first then try to "make it fit" the guitar. I start with the guitar first, and see what falls naturally into position with the art based upon the woods and guitar itself. I try to blend the whole thing together. A good inlay shouldn't seperate itself out from the guitar, it should be a part of it. After tone of course. It doesn't mater what it looks like if it sounds like crap!

Craig

I'm going to let the art speak for itself here. Some people like that look, some don't. I like to let an image breath a little. I could fill up every inch of space with inlay, but I don't personally like that look. Some may like it. It's a personal call.

I am privilaged to be soley an inlayer. I don't take time bulding guitars, I only do inlays, so I can advance my skills quickly. I would like to build a full guitar one day though.

Craig

Some more on art-

classic inlay was originally done as ornamentation. To "pretty up" an instrument or object. This in my opinion is still the main focus of a lot of inlay work on electric and acoustic guitars.

I can't say my work is all real art, but in portraying the natural world I try to be as realistic looking as possible with my imagery. I try my best to capture a moment in a garden, such as here, or in the sea, as in my other works.

I still have a long way to go.

Craig

Some more on art-

classic inlay was originally done as ornamentation. To "pretty up" an instrument or object. This in my opinion is still the main focus of a lot of inlay work on electric and acoustic guitars.

I can't say my work is all real art, but in portraying the natural world I try to be as realistic looking as possible with my imagery. I try my best to capture a moment in a garden, such as here, or in the sea, as in my other works.

I still have a long way to go.

Craig

If you still have a long way to go then the rest of us don't have a prayer! :D

thanks again for all the answers!

Thanks Dave.

I plan on having hopefully three guitars, two boxes, and of course tons of photos.

I look forward to meeting you to.

I don't know about you but 20,000 visitors to my booth would be a potentially good thing :D . I am just hoping either Les Paul or Andy Summers stops by. That would be a highlite B) .

Craig