Thickness Planing

Hi,

I have recently purchased several pieces of 8/4 wood that are quite thick at 1 14/16. I measured some of my factory guitars and noticed that they seem to be about 1 3/4 thick. Is it therefore common for the experienced builder to thickness plane down to 1 3/4 from an 8/4 blank? I've noticed that thickness planers can be quite expensive. I did find one at the local hardware store for $199 however. At 12" it would only be able to plane 2-piece blanks. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Best Regards,

Mike.

Yes, it is typical for us to thickness plane the wood before building. Often we use sizes that are not common...and it's always a good idea to start with a known flat surface.

Instead of dropping some serious cash on a planer (espically one that will require you to cut your body blank in two), call around your area and find a cabinet maker. They will have the correct tools and will often do it for a few bucks.

just to add to morben's reply

12" will rarely if ever be wide enough to plan a guitar body blank, i have a 12-1/2" wide thickness planer that just barely does standard strat size bodies. IF i were to buy another planer or recommend a planer to anybody on this forum it would have to be AT LEAST 13" wide.

just to add to morben's reply

12" will rarely if ever be wide enough to plan a guitar body blank, i have a 12-1/2" wide thickness planer that just barely does standard strat size bodies. IF i were to buy another planer or recommend a planer to anybody on this forum it would have to be AT LEAST 13" wide.

That's what I was thinking in terms of a guitar body 2 piece already glued together or a one piece. I was thinking that a 12" wouldn't be wide enough for most guitars, but you can get by with a smaller planer if your building 2 piece guitars like most of us, just make sure you run both pieces back to back to insure that they are the same width. I'm in the market for a good planer myself, and thanks for the advice KrazyD, I was thinking of getting a 12" this weekend (a Delta) it's nice but I think I would rather wait and get a bigger size. I have a friend who bought the $199 Delta and I was watching him run it yesterday, and it works great, just not sure if I'd regret not getting a wider one later. I did notice that the bigger 12 1/2" planers both Delta and Dewalt had a neat feature of running at two speeds, one for rough cut, and another for finishing. I would like to have that feature on the one I decide to buy. I'm leaning toward the Dewalt, since most claim they are the making the best right now with no snip. But the Delta impressed me also. I'm also still checking out the Grizzly Tool Brand.. since I've heard they make good stuff for a good price.

I have a 13" (planer :D ) and love it. It's a Rigid planer from Home Depot. It got great reviews in terms of it's snipe control (there's a lock on it that does a great job of reducing snipe) and got very good overall grades. I can't remember the magazine that did the review - I'll see if I can find it tonight.

My only problem with it is the dust chute. If I use the attachment it gets clogged very easily - even with a dust collector connected. I just leave it off and clean up when I'm done.

I completely agree with the 13" minimum. I like to use it to run the body blank through after gluing. I know it can be done by hand but I'm lazy and pressed for time so it's real handy for doing that. Save yourself some grief - spend the extra $80 or whatever to get the 13" planer instead of a 12" if you can swing it.

I just got my 15' jet planer working.

a major problem with guitars is that we are usually dealing with bodies just about 13'.

Notice how most fenders fit under that 13' barrier? On ebay there is a cheap chinese made 14 planer, don't know if its anygood, its cheap as hell.

if you are buying your wood from a lumber yard good idea to plane the wood, if you are buying from a full wood shop like gallery hardwoods, or owl hardwood, they do most of that already.

my advice to you is search ebay for used tools. look for a planer in your area that you can pickup. most of the larger 15+ planers are industrial stuff and last forever. just remember industrial means 220v so you may have to rewire your garage like I did last week.

some cabinet shops will help you out, others will tell you piss off... :D

a lumber yard will have millwork stuff so always ask. A fair right in the chicago area is a dollar a min...

good luck.

I couldn't be happier with my new Delta 13" planer. I spent a good bit of time weighing the options of the 12" and the one I bought. It is my first planer. I've used other since I bought this one, and don't know how I would live w/o some of the features. Granted, I used it for much more than guitar building, but the bells and whistles of this machine were completly worth the extra bling. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

delta_planer.jpg

i just have an electric hand planer, and its just great, Much cheaper also,

i do find it very good, plane to what ever size you want.

Here's a Pic of one:

if pic does not work Click Here

Electr5.jpg

....Keith

i have one of those...i need to set it up properly and get used to it...i can't get it to work well

a woodworker on a job i did showed me how to set it up to make it work better

I went for the 13" Rigid planer, on sale for $199 at my 'Depot. It is still NIB.

hmm..... i'm at home depot quite a bit and i haven't seen the rigid planer :D

Most woodshops around here will plane enough wood for 2 or 3 bodies (one long board) for around $20. I don't think I need to plane my own wood enough to warrant my own planer. Granted, if I planned on building 30 bodies within the lifespan of a small planer, maybe I would, but....

Right now I'm looking into a good spindle sander.

Yeah but there's nothing like having the stuff you need to do everything yourself. I've already gotten tired of having to bug people for stuff, and I really need a planer next. I finally broke down the other day and bought a good router and I love it. I got a Dewalt 616pk Plunge/Fixed Router the other day and have been very please with it so far. Maybe I won't have to buy another one for a while, now I just need to build me a good router table.

After some brainstorming and drawing I came up with a router/thicknesser whatchamightcallit, which it basically a H-shaped router cradle. It stands on 2 30mm threaded bars (4 turns=2mm), and the base is a 30mm MDF. It's 1m x 1m, and now I think it could be even less.

I hardly ever use my router hand-held anymore, this thing does all my thicknessing, I also used it for truing up the necktrough wings (used with a bearing and a straight guide), planes the angles for carved top instuments in seconds, and with an index pin (not added yet) can be used to cut out bodies using templates etc etc...

You can see some more pics of it on my site, under Tele and PT.

When not used, I just put away the MDF, and put it up against the wall, right on my worktable. Takes less than a minute to assemble/dissasemble it.

Hope that helps!

Are all planers automatic feed? Just wondering because I know it's a neat feature on planers I've seen before. Stonescreed, does the Grizzly planer have both regular plane and finish plane features? And does it autofeed? Snipe? I'm seriously thinking about buying a Grizzly since I've never heard a negative word from anyone on their products, so they must match top brands quality?

I'm seriously thinking about buying a Grizzly since I've never heard a negative word from anyone on their products, so they must match top brands quality?

I have heard different stories about them. One article I read stated that they were made in a plant that is not capable of producing power tools with much precision. I also read that some people believe they are made at the same plant as Delta, JET, ... in China. I don't know what the real story is with them.

Someone posted that they got a 13" Rigid planer from Home Depot. If that is true, definitely buy that planer!!!! I have the same thing but mine cost $400.00 (also from Home Depot). Even at $400, it's worth it - it's a great machine. I posted some info on it in an earlier reply if you are interested.

Someone posted that they got a 13" Rigid planer from Home Depot. If that is true, definitely buy that planer!!!! I have the same thing but mine cost $400.00 (also from Home Depot). Even at $400, it's worth it - it's a great machine. I posted some info on it in an earlier reply if you are interested.

Yeah I'd love to know where you can get a 13" one for that price.. I've had no luck, but I did see a 12" planer from Delta for $199. Let me know if you see that Rigid for that price.. that's almost too hard to believe though.. I just spent that much on my router.. lol

After some brainstorming and drawing I came up with a router/thicknesser whatchamightcallit, which it basically a H-shaped router cradle. It stands on 2 30mm threaded bars (4 turns=2mm), and the base is a 30mm MDF. It's 1m x 1m, and now I think it could be even less.

I hardly ever use my router hand-held anymore, this thing does all my thicknessing, I also used it for truing up the necktrough wings (used with a bearing and a straight guide), planes the angles for carved top instuments in seconds, and with an index pin (not added yet) can be used to cut out bodies using templates etc etc...

You can see some more pics of it on my site, under Tele and PT.

When not used, I just put away the MDF, and put it up against the wall, right on my worktable. Takes less than a minute to assemble/dissasemble it.

Hope that helps!

That's an interesting set up. I found the link, btw, so you can ignore the PM.

I suppose in a pinch you could use a hand held router to thickness a board. If it's already reasonably flat to begin with, that is. It would take a lot longer than a proper thickness planer or sander, but, as has been metioned before, it beats having to bug someone else to do it for you and to pay for it.

Time for another experiment. :D

$400...and they often have a $50 rebate...I got mine for $350, and it's more planer than I need.

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_detai...=7&filter=delta

I have lots of grizzly equipment. My home in PA is close to one of their monster stores...huge building. My uncle has a full A++ shop with almost ALL grizzly equipment. Their deal is that they design everything here in the US, then have it made in Taiwan, but use oversized everything...bearings, etc. Tough as nails equipment - excellent customer support - and you can't beat the price. Get their catalog, it's like the Sears Wish Book for guys.

Thanks for all your replys! I had a feeling I should be looking for at least a 13" planer. Too bad they jump up in price so much after 12".

gpcustomguitars:

How many passes does it take to plane a blank using your contraption? I'd imagine it would take quite a few if I'm understanding how it works. It's basically an overhead router, correct? I think Jehle's observation that you need to start basically flat is a good one as well. Could be a problem with a curved blank, no?

Best Regards,

Mike.