I'm going nuts!...A question about nuts

Go to a place that works with Corian kitchen counter-tops, and ask if you can have some scraps of the stuff. Take all that they'll give you. If you end up with a handful, you can practice making nuts, plus if one turns out, Corian is a great nut material. If you don't have, or can't make the needed tools, you'll need to go to a pro to get it done right.

I think that feeler guages have been used quite a lot. You can serate one edge of them and use them as a veriable width saw.

I must stress that I haven't tried it, just picked up the idea from somewhere. I'd wait until someone that has confirms that it works. Good luck dude, I've got all this come :D

I think that feeler guages have been used quite a lot.  You can serate one edge of them and use them as a veriable width saw.

I must stress that I haven't tried it, just picked up the idea from somewhere.  I'd wait until someone that has confirms that it works.  Good luck dude, I've got all this come  :D

I've done it. They only stay sharp enough to do a couple nut-slotting jobs. For the bigger string slots, there's all kinds of good tricks, like wrapping sandpaper around a thinner feeler-gauge. It the thinner strings where you are pretty much stuck with buying those special files.

But recently I've been thinking more about ways to make cheap home-made files, because I'd like to experiment more with making nuts out of metal, and I hate to wear out a set of files that cost $60-80.

There's some chemical stuff that they use to sharpen files. they dip the files in this stuff and it somehow eats away a little metal on the file teeth, and makes them more sharp. So I'm wondering if this would work on home-made files: maybe it makes metal turn rough, which is like a very fine-tooth file. I don't know. I have a friend who makes guitar strings so rusty, they actually become sharp. Maybe something like that would work as a cheap "nut file".

I once "roughed up" a nail with a file, and then used it as a nut file. It worked quite well.

Rob