EBAY

fizzy_elephant

Is Ebay worth it? problems and risks.  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i LOVE ebay. I have had some guys try and rip me off.... but i got my money back both times. After about 4 years of buying off ebay ive learned to spot scams easily. Which i usually do see quite a few. Ive bought some really expensive stuff off ebay too like a Peavey 5150 guitar head and a cab. Extremely happy with both purchases.

Well, my story should be well known. I won't go into all that.

Yeah, I've had a lot of bad experiences with eBay, both as a buyer and a seller, not to mention victim. It's not the same place that is used to be years ago where people were generally kind and willing to work with you. It was like a big yard sale then, and really easy going. Now, the atmosphere is much more business like and people are expected to operate like that.

My experience may not be typical. I never expected to have to read books on how to use "the system" to protect myself. There's an art to holding feedback and even using it as leverage to get what you want out of people.

I'm on a brief hiatus from eBay at the moment. I'll get back into eventually. In the mean time, I'm sticking to the buyers that I've used before with good results and little else.

Ebay's no different from any other flea market - you have to know what you're looking for, and you have to read the fine print, but in 5 years I've never had an unresolved negative experience, either as a buyer or a seller. I will admit to not buying as often as I once did because the prices aren't as good as the used market in general, probably because everybody goes to Ebay now looking for a deal and ends up paying too much just to win, but there are still deals to be found occasionally. And Jehle's right about the change in atmosphere - it's a lot more serious than when I started, but there are people making a living at this now, so the stakes are a little higher. If you check feedback (not just the ratings, the comments) and pay attention, so you don't buy a $5.00 item with a $20.00 shipping charge, you should be reasonably safe. Most of the complaints I see are from people who made mistakes on their own and then expect Ebay to fix them (present company excepted, of course :D ).

It's just like any power tool -use it at your own risk, it can cause injury if you don't know what you're doing.

I had nothing but good experiences on the bay.

maybe it's a good idea to have members post trustworthy, honest people who sell guitar related stuff.

There's quite a lot honest and nice folks out there.

I'm sure everybody knows Ben Luzier (Sandy1070) as an example

E-bay is a great place except for one small thing.

There's no law (yet) preventing complete jackasses from buying and using computers.

:DB):D:D:D

I love e-Bay, I have lots of life-enriching goods I would have never had except for the 'bay. B)