Wanted: 100watt Guitar Amp

sjaguar13

uh ask the guy on drums to go easier, :D

i dont think he needs 100 watts. and contrary to popular beleif a 100 watt amp is not 10 times

louder" (persceivable louder) then 10 watt amp, its only 2 times as loud. The secret is an efficient speaker, even 1 watt through a good speaker is pretty loud./ rantover.

can you specify how high you will go, like just a one piece amp or are you willing to rake out for a full stack?

yeah he's right 100 watts is twice as loud as 10 watts. with amps it's kinda like the metric system. 500 is twice as loud as 50......i have a 50 fender princeton chorus that i use and it works VERY well, it can stand up to the drums and rhythm guitar players amp well. so like 50 would be fine for your cousin probably

I think Zzounds has the Pignose G40v for around $200 and free shipping. Not a bad little MV JCM-style amp, just needs a better speaker (or a 4-12 and a speaker cord B) ), and it's a great mod platform if you want to go DIY later (check http://www.blueguitar.org for some cool mods). Definitely loud enough to keep up with most drummers (unless you're a clean freak in a very loud country band). The chinese tubes aren't ideal, but it doesn't sound bad even stock. Check it out, if you hate it you've got 30 days to return it. It's not a Rectumfryer, but as Martha always says, "...that's a good thing!" . :D

My mesa studio 22 head was too loud for our practice situation at times, 2 el84 tubes are between 18 and 30 watts. Its for sale btw.

Wicked amp. Mine blew up :D That used to walk all over a Peavey 300W bass rig if I let it.

I usually did B)

Using a fender princeton DSP now. Small, VERY loud (allegedly 65w) tranny combo, 1x12", easy to carry (much lighter than the studio.22), and wins the fight with a monster premier kit and a Trace Elliot 150W bass rig..

In fact, it's perhaps too loud. but nice to have the spare noise there.

why not go peavey bandit?

mine has a decent tone, i can have the pedal at half and the amp at 3.5 and be heard over drums, and they play pretty loud

The bandit i got from a pawn shp, cant go wrong for 230 bucks, 80 watt Scorpion speaker and it is an awesome amp

Curtis

yeah he's right 100 watts is twice as loud as 10 watts. with amps it's kinda like the metric system. 500 is twice as loud as 50......

Just for clarification on how sound works, the above is NOT true.

To increase the volume of sound by 3 db you must double the source. Example I've always used is if you stand behind a running jet (not likely) and place another jet running exactly like the other next to it. The sound increase will only by 3 db.

Extreme example because 1w of power produces a lot of sound:

Meaning if a 5w source produced 50db

It would take 327,680w to produce 99db

So, it takes a LOT of juice to make it 'twice' as loud.

This stuff is audio 101.

Brian

What i've commonly read is that a 100 watt amp is only about 10% louder than a 50 watt amp. And for some reason, tube amps are much louder than comparable solid state amps of the same wattage.

Yes, not including how power is rated (ie 10w at .005% THD, is louder then 100w 10% THD)

Solid state once 'maxed out' does nothing but clip. The sound wave gets cut right off, no where else to go, sorta like a limiter.

Tubes however don't have this limitation. They simply produce more distortion instead of clipping. Which can prove more favorably for a guitar player.

I'll use tube gear till the day I die! :D

Brian

• 1 year later...

My mesa studio 22 head was too loud for our practice situation at times, 2 el84 tubes are between 18 and 30 watts. Its for sale btw.

i dont have any money, but i was wondering if you would be willing to trade two guitars, one is a mid/late 80's kramer baretta w/ a set thru neck, a floyd rose trem, an evh d-tuna, it has 2 dimarzio evoultion humbuckers w/ emg style pickup covers, the bridge pickup is green and is a fred i believe and the neck pickup is blue but i forgot what the name was, its wired as 2 volumes, a 3 way, and an active 5 position distortion switch that is not currently wired in but sounds amazing, it has 24 frets, works great, just needs a paint job and cavity covers, and i would send you the stereo jack and the wiring diagram for the distortion switch, the other guitar is a washburn x-series, nothing really special, 2 sc's and a hb in the bridge, pretty much all stock but in great condition, you can see these guitars on photobucket.com, search for bandjoe, and how many watts is the amp, and what is the minimum ohm load?

i dont have any money, but i was wondering if you would be willing to trade two guitars, one is a mid/late 80's kramer baretta w/ a set thru neck, a floyd rose trem, an evh d-tuna, it has 2 dimarzio evoultion humbuckers w/ emg style pickup covers, the bridge pickup is green and is a fred i believe and the neck pickup is blue but i forgot what the name was, its wired as 2 volumes, a 3 way, and an active 5 position distortion switch that is not currently wired in but sounds amazing, it has 24 frets, works great, just needs a paint job and cavity covers, and i would send you the stereo jack and the wiring diagram for the distortion switch, the other guitar is a washburn x-series, nothing really special, 2 sc's and a hb in the bridge, pretty much all stock but in great condition, you can see these guitars on photobucket.com, search for bandjoe, and how many watts is the amp, and what is the minimum ohm load?

The amp might be gone, seeing as this thread is almost two years old :D

But at least you used the search feature. Good on ya :D