Kramer 5150 project

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey Man!! Nice job on that axe! Boy am i jealous. I am thinking about doing the exact same thing. A kid at my school is offering me a fender knockoff guitar and neck for 50 bucks and like how can i miss out on that so im going to pick it up and do a EvH replica JUST like that one!

Just how much did everything cost? I can get paint DIRT cheap from through my school but how much did everything else cost?

And by the way, did the filling of the cavity affect the sound at all? And if no, would Autobody filler (bondo) affect the sound?

Thanks

Robbie

The stripes on the headstock are on the face only.

As for sanding, this was my method:

- Sand the already painted body (factory finish) with 600 grit dry paper to remove any sign of gloss.

- Prime with PPG primer

- wet sand with 800 grit to get a uniform finish

- Spray with PPG polyurithane White.

- Wet sand with 1000 grit for a smooth finish

- mask up the body and spray PPG "Base Coat" red

- mask up the body and spray PPG "Base Coat" black

- DO NOT SAND either "Base Coat"!!!!!!!!!!!

- Spray PPG Poly clear

- Wet sand with 1500 grit to a smooth finish

- Spray with 2nd coat of PPG Poly Clear

- Wet sand with 1500 grit to a smooth finish

- Spray with 3rd coat of PPG Poly Clear

- Wet sand with 1500, then 2000, then buff.

Im not saying that this is the best way, but it works for me.  And remember, Im using Automotive 2 part poly paint, not acrylic or nitro.  This stuff hardens like plastic within hours of applying.

Kramer_logo_applied.jpg

Art_series_logo_applied.jpg

These are the logos I made.  Ill clear the headstock tomorrow.

Just curious. How do you do the masking for the black stripes? Although it's the last color applied, it looks like you had to mask the whole body and leave the area intended to be black, bare. So it would seem that instead of using just tape, you'd use tape and paper, etc. But still the stripes seem uniform in width. How is that done?

Thanks.

Dave

no doubt. i've always kinda wanted to build a 5150. i'm not an EVH superfan.. I don't even play like eddie.. I love his tone though and have always liked his no nonsense approach to guitar. Eddie always sounds like eddie.. Just a humbucker and a tone knob..

Besides, with the EVH art series giong for 15-20k average on ebay (the hand striped ones mind you).. this is a whole lot more cost effective :D

• 1 year later...