Can some one.....

razzark

I think a more knowledgeable member should list the bare minimum tools (and decent prices for them) to make a guitar and have that topic pinned, because I see alot of what tools do I need threads, and I was tempted to post one but if they had something like that pinned that would be cool and helpful.

router 200 bones at least a 1hp model... porter cable is the way to go, owned two craftsman didn't even compare. Get a mix bit set, tool shop brand at menards is a good starter kit. Porter cables model 100 is only 169 online

Palm sander, makita makes some good ones.

Drill press, after reading everyones post on it I am convinced that this is a must. can get a good used one various places, check pawn shops and ebay. 250$ This can be used as a buffer, edge sander, and can help carve a top with the right bit.

Band saw if you can wing it. too many options, even a small bench top one is very useful, 200 bucks, used.

Files, the four pack thay you can get at acehardware.

Clamps, at least two pipe clamps to make body blanks.

sand paper and blocks.

soder gun,

Planes if you plan on making a carved top.

A set of chisels to clean up joints. ace hardware has a good set for cheap.

Heh...Well you need something to hold it together...so maybe a rusty butter knife and some chewing gum

fishbake made some nice stuff with a minimum amount of tools...

The trade off would be how much time it takes and the quality...you can do something with a chisel that you can do with a router....the router is quicker...less work and looks better.....but if you still can't justify it the chisel will work

Hi Razzark,

In my opinion, it would be very difficult to create a definitive list of tools, much less their prices.

A great deal of your tool choice depends on what you are doing. For instance, are you doing your PUP cavities by template or freehand? And, how do you prefer to work? Because freehand you can use either a router or a chisel. Same with a template.

My suggestion would be, think about what type of work you are actually going to do and what type of tools you need to achieve that goal. I find that it helps to go to the store and look at the tools while planning. Go down and get some cheap woods and the tools and see if they work for you. This is the only way that I know of to develop the list of tools that you will need.

And the price of the tools depends on the quality of the equipment that you buy. Same with buying guitars.

Having said all of the above..... For making a guitar body, not neck, from a hunk of wood, what I need are:

Band saw

Router

Orbiting spindle sander

Long straight edge

Pencil

Hand held drill

Drill bits

Adjustable square/ruler

Power sander of some sort

With these, I can make a guitar body.

Have fun, and welcome to the insanity.

Guitar Ed

One mans opinion in a very crowded field.

This is of no help to the original post but the boxcutter thing made me think of it. My boss said he went to a seminar where this dude built a classical guitar (that played and looked good) with a knife he made from a car bumper and rope clamping techniques. We use some of the rope clamping at the shop and it works great.

What tools, at the bare minimum would be required to make a good neck? I have the tools to make a body...i.e router, power sander, drill, drill press, clamps. Neck wise I have a 9" radius sanding block.

I am not worried about the price..although i am a poor student i will stop at nothing until my guitar is finished. But i don't want to buy anyhting I don't need.

I found the tutorial on fretting a new neck by brian very useful.

thanks

The minimum number of tools are what you have at the time. Ive got five routers, and use a minimum of three just to rout a pickup cavity. But, i could get away with a hammer and a chisel if i had to...

Because the routers spin the other way around down there in Australia, right ?

yeah...the top spins instead of the bit

The minimum number of tools are what you have at the time. Ive got five routers, and use a minimum of three just to rout a pickup cavity. But, i could get away with a hammer and a chisel if i had to...

Always being clowns arent you guys!!

No, the body of the guitar spins, and the router bit stays still. Why else would i need so many?? However, did you know if a router spins backwards, it actually ADDS wood to a cavity?? Try it one day!

and when the power cord is twisted up in a giant knot, he picks up another router.

I think it's getting to be winter time there too, so maybe we better wish him a merry christmas

and when the power cord is twisted up in a giant knot, he picks up another router.

I think it's getting to be winter time there too, so maybe we better wish him a merry christmas

You see guys!! I dont have to spell it all out, just give hints. With enough thought, you CAN be a master poobar luthier to.