how do you become a master luthier

wasnt sure where this would go, so move it if you want. i am seriously thinking about becoming a luthier or at least repair guitars. i want to know what i would have to do. im 16 and my parents are threatening me already because i dontknow what i want to do and obviously being in a band isnt gonna pay the bills. is there a program or a college?

being in a band isnt gonna pay the bills.

tell that to slayer :D

seriously though,don't settle for second choice until you know you have to

i had the same attitude as you when i was a kid,and i regret not trying as hard as i could to make it happen

by all means,go to school and learn a career,but don't postpone your dreams in order to do it

but remember at the same time that of all the bands you listen to,very few ever considered a career outside of music as acceptable

well about being in a band, i dont plan on ever giving up on music as a career, but there are more choices in paths than just playing an instrument. i feel that music is all that im good at unless i find a trade that i could go to school for. as long as i can still play im always going to be trying to get famous, but i need something to really be able to fall back on. if i can become a guitar tech or a leading luthier than i will always be in the direct path of someone who has connections. i know a lot of the guys who started these big(maybe TOO big for their egos) companies wanted to change something about the way that the guitar is percieved as an instrument or way of life. so because of that i feel that it is my calling to be in that area, whether its on the stage or in the workshop.

What options do you have for an education - meaning can you afford college? What type of lifestyle are you looking for - do you want to have a big house, nice cars, vacation twice a year, 3 kids, ... ?

I'm not being a wise ass here - I'm being very serious. This is the kind of stuff I took for granted when I was your age. Nobody really pounded it into my head that the decisions I made at that age were going to affect the rest of my life. I thought things would all work out on their own and I'd coast along. I thought that if I made a bad decision - there would be plenty of time to fix it. Reality (at least for me) is that you do not have much time to repair a life changing decision such as your education. You get one shot at it for the most part. Yes, you can go to night school later in life and get another degree but that takes a hell of a lot of commitment and money and time.

I also used to think that as long as I was happy with my work, I didn't care how much money I had. That is a great philosophy but reality tends to tear that down. Later in life, when you have kids - you'll need to provide for them. I won't go into all of the things that are involved but to sum it up - money really does matter and is important. They need a shot at an education, they need day care, they need all sorts of things that cost big bucks.

Sorry to rant like this but this is something thats been on my mind lately. Be extremely careful what you decide to do at this point in life. Be as sure as you can that you'll be satisfied at the age of 40 with the path you choose now. Don't settle for something that is interesting or fun only - match that with something that will put some money in the bank. You might need to compromise to get the right match of interest and pay but I can tell you it is worth at least considering at your age.

I got lucky and things did end up well for me but I was not prepared at your age. I did not really know and understand how incredibly difficult life is. I got a degree in Electrical Engineering just because it sounded cool at the time. I can't imagine how much harder things would have been without that degree. I'm not saying you need a 4 year degree to succeed in life but if you push yourself to do more now, it will pay off later. Waiting until you're 25-30 to get serious about it will most likely be too late.

Damn, I sound like a pain in the butt. The main point is that I just wish I knew how difficult things really are when I was younger. I think I would have pushed myself much harder than I did. Don't live for the money - live for the freedom that comes with having choices. Education (and money as a result) are a big part of what gives you choices later in life - the lack of it can really corner you and take those choices away.

Having said all of that , how much does a master luthier make anyway? :D Is it easy to find work?

At 25, I'm starting to realize that I'll probably never become popular (although I'll gig occasionnaly until I die) and the idea of working on guitars kinda "heals" me a bit. I'll still get to create something, yet I'll always be home early to take care of little Isaac (who's been with us for a little over 48hrs now!!!).

Although, in my case it'll probably just be a hobby, because I have a long way to go before it can pay the mortgage. But I'm really hoping I can come up with a break-through design that'll have musicians knocking at my door to have me build one for them!

well right now i really have to start thinking about what i want to do and how im going to learn how to do it. ive gotten in a bit of trouble, ok, well a lot of trouble and so now my parents are really getting on to me because they dont want to support me unless i really plan on going somewhere. so i really would like to know how i could do the things im already good at and make money doing so. im halfway through highschool and as of the end of the year im just skimming along because i got kicked out of school. i plan on keeping the grades up until i graduate, but after then i need a plan and a place where i can learn how to make some money. i really want to know if you have to be certified to make and repair guitars as a business and if you need a degree of some sort to do those kinds of things.

I was pounded in the head to go to college.... thats what everyone told me...

Did that graduated close to honors, got a job with a big consulting company, made a ton of money, got laid off, almost went broke, at 26 with a college degree worked for 7.5 an hour just to pay bills. Started building guitars, and repairing stuff for buddies, realized that I should do this for the rest of my life. so now I am here at my 9to5 job paying the bills and getting a shop setup where I can almost launch my own stuff. I realize my building skills are getting better, and once my buddy says its good enough (trained luthier at a school in Grand Rapids MI) I will start custom building with some cabinet making on the side.

When I got out of high school I wanted to be a house builder... Dad said no, well now I realize that I should have done that. Instead I am strapped to my desk working for "the man" and realize that you should do what you want to do...

There is a trade off. You can live your life at a ski resort and just pay the bills, or work for the man. Go take a class in woodworking... go to a furniture building class see if you like it enough to pay for full tution at a good school.

You will still need to get a job that pays the bills because starting off as a luthier takes time to build a client base.

that was seriously cool. damn. i HAVE a job making 7.50 at the moment. my father owns his own company and soon will be living in leisure. i realize that i could easily take courses and seminars in building guitars and it is something that i really want to do, and i always have my fathers company to fall back on as a job if i need it. i really really think that i could do it for a living. if i can build my own guitars to my specifics than i bet i could get some offers if i took the courses when i get out of high school.

Guitar making/repair is quite unpredictable when it comes to being able to pay the bills. Half the time it's like being an artist, where you really don't make enough money for the time you are working.

If you want a dependable income, consider something that people can't do without, instead of guitar making/repair. Guitar and amp stuff is a luxury, and when times are tough, people don't need to put money into that stuff. They do need to have heat and running water, so that'll give you an idea where the dependable bucks are probably always going to come from.

And like I've said, and many of us know, robots are taking over guitar making/repair.

Just giving you honest, fair warning.

I joined the Air Force right after I graduated high school. It taught me some discipline (I never got kicked out of school but only cuz I never got caught), and it taught me a skill (avionics). If you are also dedicated, you can go to college part-time while serving active duty. I did not choose that path however and decided to drink alot and chase women. (Not that I found very many at my station - Mtn. Home Idaho) And I played in several throw together bands - you can never have a stable band lineup with military members. But I had a blast and made some lifelong friends.

But I went to college after I got out (used the GI Bill) and got a 4 year degree (took me 6) in Industrial Design. It's like Engineering without all that pesky math! :D Now I'm a designer with a wife and 2 kids and I am building my first guitar as a hobby. It appeals to my design side as well as my long time fascination with wood.

My only caution would be to weigh the positives with what's happening in the world right now. I served during relative peacetime, right before the first Bush took us to war. Granted, the average Airman doesn't see much combat, but it something to think about.

BTW, I know I am old when I can in good conscience tell you about my good ole' days. You have the added benefit of this forum and the internet in general to gather all the research you need to make an informed decision. That's a hell of a lot more than I had at your age. I used to walk to school waist deep in snow, uphill - both ways... B)

One thing I forgot to mention,

Tube amp repair and design is very hot... The guys that are doing this are getting old, when was the last time any of us saw a younger tube amp guru? I am trying to learn about repair, but its a little slow for me, so if you are good at math and science, find a repair shop and work there part time...

My last amp repair bill was 65 an hour, that pretty good huh?

I was quoted 30-40$ :D to adjust the bias on my Marshall when I changed the tubes. It took me a whole 2 minutes to do it myself with a borrowed multi-meter!

So yeah, I guess there is room for some competition!

I'm afraid the younger crowd will move away from tubes though, and there's not much work to do on a digital amp besides flashing new firmware...

Not to mention that going to luthier school costs money...there are no scholarships or financial aid for that.

Follow your instincts when it comes to trying to make a living at something you enjoy; you'll develop a passion only for what inspires you, and that inspiration will be the driving force to make youself better and better.

Early on I was given this advice; choose something you enjoy ("within reason"=paying bills) so that you wake up every day jazzed about what you're doing. Then, take that inspiration and become so good at it that people will want to pay you. In some choices (luthery, cabinet making) the return is tied closely to how good you are and how hard you work; other choices not so (music biz).

And remember...at either end of the economic spectrum there lies a leisure class.

I was quoted 30-40$ :D to adjust the bias on my Marshall when I changed the tubes. It took me a whole 2 minutes to do it myself with a borrowed multi-meter!

So yeah, I guess there is room for some competition!

I'm afraid the younger crowd will move away from tubes though, and there's not much work to do on a digital amp besides flashing new firmware...

only until they find out that the tube amps cut through the mix better live

only until they find out that the tube amps cut through the mix better live

I have to explain that on a daily basis to other musicians who ask why I am still using a "one sound only, no mic simulated direct out" amp. I have to explain them that one good tone is much better than a 100 crappy tones, and then I crank the motherlover up and they understand :D

It's amazing how some kids are influenced by marketing...

well im a teenager and ive embraced that fact warmly. i have one amp that is half tube half digital and all the others pure tube. the only reason i have that one is because i like the boost that it gives me with the tubes in the overdrive channel and it gives a creamy warm low effect with my huge strings when i turn down the gain.

Hi Meegs,

Also being older, 43, I would like to add a few comments. Broadly speaking, the more eductation you get, the better off you will be in the long run.

Going to school sucks. I realize that. And a college degree does not mean you can actually do something. But all things being equal, the person with the degree gets the job before the person without the degree. Also, the person with the degree gets promoted faster.

But most important, at least to me: The person with the degree has the most options when deciding on a career or job. There are fewer things that you "can not do" compared to the person without the degree.

So grab the most education you can, and find a local luthier who will let you work part time. Many are looking for apprentices. My local guy has two of them.

BTW: Assuming, without evidence, that you are male, there are lots of chicks in college.

Guitar Ed

My $0.02 ain't worth what it used to be.

, there are lots of chicks in college.

that aint no lie

i was building a pressbox at the top of bobcat stadium in san marcos yesterday...and you would not believe how beautiful the girls running up and down the bleaches were

go to college to learn,but don't forget the parties and the girls while you are there

.... find a repair shop and work there part time...

guitar_ed... and find a local luthier who will let you work part time. Many are looking for apprentices. My local guy has two of them.

Interesting. Just find a luthier and get a job with them. Ive recieved 15 resume's in the mail and at least five people have come down to the shop, specifically looking for a job/apprenticeship. Thats since March... thats more than one per week.

When i started out, i though id be smarter than the rest, so i offered to work for FREE for my local luthier. I took in all my cabinet making awards, certificates, apprentice of the year nominations, etc etc etc etc etc, samples of work, photos, everything. Even working for free, he wouldnt take me on.

Now, im in the same situation as him. And i can tell you now, there aint any way on earth im employing someone that has 1. no experience, 2. no knowledge. Why?? Because MY name goes on everything i make, and i know that one small defect will be talked about by everyone that sees it, and i dont have time to watch over someone until i feel that they can do the job as well as me.

will i employ someone? Yes, im am gearing up for it now, but it will be menial tasks like sanding, and nothing else. If they cant do that for a long time without complaint (1 year +), they arent keen.

Oh, and in answer to your title question..."Master" is added to Luthier when you feel like, and means absolutely nothing at all, but it sounds like they are more experienced. I am the Grand Master Pubar Luthier in my shop.

well right now i really have to start thinking about what i want to do and how im going to learn how to do it. ive gotten in a bit of trouble, ok, well a lot of trouble and so now my parents are really getting on to me because they dont want to support me unless i really plan on going somewhere. so i really would like to know how i could do the things im already good at and make money doing so. im halfway through highschool and as of the end of the year im just skimming along because i got kicked out of school. i plan on keeping the grades up until i graduate, but after then i need a plan and a place where i can learn how to make some money. i really want to know if you have to be certified to make and repair guitars as a business and if you need a degree of some sort to do those kinds of things.

Im in the same boat. I got kicked out of public school system in 7th grade, went to cathlioc school for a year, got kicked out of that for the same exact thing and I am now back in public school (and almost got kicked out once again in 9th grade). My parents are hounding me to 'get my act togeather' and my dad is always makin me take drug tests and everything.

My dad is also into woodworking (he builds lots of stuff) so now its somthing that me and him have in common and he helps me out, and i help him out. and now he is really starting to lay off me and is supporting my music more. its really cool the way stuff like that works.

I want to also become a luither in the future, along with teaching bass guitar at a music shop or collage someday. It seems like it will pay well. But Im still tryin to work everything out.

p.s. theres a guy near me in NC named Dave pushic (hes a really good luiter) www.dpcustoms.com and i asked if he knew about any aprentichips or he would take one on, and he said no.

Hey Dylan,

Keep at the woodworking with your father. I would lay odds that it will pay off, but not when or where. From time to time, take some of the stuff you have built down to Pushic's shop and show him. Say "hey, I just wanted to show you what I have done recently." He knows that you are into the guitar thing. He will know why you are there. You need to prove to him that you are not some idiot kid with no skills and no dedication. And that is a hard and time consuming thing to do.

Keep at it.

Guitar Ed