Is quartersawn wood necessary for solid bodies?

thanks Scott I appreciate the info man.

I'm still wondering if a neck thorough body design would be easier for a beginer compared to a set neck 'cause it eliminates the need to cut a precise tenon and slot/pocket. although it sound like fun! I guess it's all a matter of prefferance huh?

Neck through's are more difficult than set necks, which are more difficult than bolt ons.

After you bash the headstock on the bench for the fifteenth time, you'll understand :D

Amen, albeit I bashed it a few more times than that. B)

After building my first bass, I have come to the conclusion that quartersawn isn't quite as neccessary as everyone makes it out to me. I mean, sure it would be nice to have that grain orientaion, but I know that my bass has not had any neck problems whatsoever in the 2 months that it has been strung up. That being said, it may just be that I got lucky with my neck. All I know is that I love the look of the grain on my walnut neck. :D

I think the only thing that makes set necks easier than neck thrus is the fact that the neck is not always attached. To me, I would think that a neck thru would be easier for an inexperienced person because of the need for precise routing of the mortise and neck pocket. I know that I would rather have a slightly beat up headstock than a screwed up neck pocket. :D

I'm just starting on my first one and can't speak from guitar building experience, but keep in mind there are hundreds of thousands of expensive US-made Gibsons and Fenders out there, all with flatsawn bodies, and I've never heard of any problem with the body wood being flatsawn.

There are also plenty of flatsawn necks out there that have never had a problem but there are others that have. I agree that a flatsawn blank laminated in quartersawn orientation should be more stable.

No you dont, but you do need to rout a pickup cavity with a fretboard in the way, and sand and rout the guitar shape with a neck hanging out the side, etc etc. After you bash the headstock on the bench for the fifteenth time, you'll understand :D

yeah this is where me and perry differ a bit...i have made 2 set neck guitars and one neck thru...i may not ever make a set neck again...routing the neckpickup was much easier,as perry says...but i don't mind making a spacer to hold the router up above the fretboard as much as i mind all the many potential places i can screw up the set neck...

i try to keep the math as simple as possible...just on my seven string i am almost done with i made the neck and neck pocket to accomadate a neck tenon that went beyond the fretboard a good 3/8"..just because i wanted the extra stability

then i promptly made the mistake of placing the bridge as if the fretboard was at the end of the neck........i had to rework my neck...luckily it still looks as if i meant it to be that way...but i was quite panicked for about 2 hours

but that is my problem...i am sure perry works off of plans...i worked off of the plans i my head,just like all my other guitars.

next guitar though i am making a good set of plans

After you bash the headstock on the bench for the fifteenth time, you'll understand B)

just another reason i used purple heart on my neck thru :D

In your case Derek, i will say this...

After you bash the headstock on the bench for the fifteenth time, you'll understand that purple heart necks will damage your nice new bench :D

No you dont, but you do need to rout a pickup cavity with a fretboard in the way, and sand and rout the guitar shape with a neck hanging out the side, etc etc. After you bash the headstock on the bench for the fifteenth time, you'll understand :D

yeah this is where me and perry differ a bit...i have made 2 set neck guitars and one neck thru...i may not ever make a set neck again...routing the neckpickup was much easier,as perry says...but i don't mind making a spacer to hold the router up above the fretboard as much as i mind all the many potential places i can screw up the set neck...

No difference between us at all Wes, i hate making bolt on guitars. My carve top models are all set neck, and my metal models are all through neck. If you want a bolt on style from me, it costs ya more B)