Radiohead style cut-off switch

howard20

Hello, im trying to put in a kill switch into my guitar and have searched the topics here and one person suggests the best why to wire a kill switch is to

" wire the switch to short the hot lead to ground".

can someone tell me in the most simple terms what that means cause im pretty useless with this kinda thing and have no idea what it suggests i do.

cheers.

Ok basically, before you want to do any modifications to your guitar, I would suggest you familiarize yourself with the wiring inside a guitar. Now onto the kill switch. Basically you need a SPDT switch.

Then, the output wire (the wire that is connected to the output lug of the jack socket) gets soldered to the middle leg of the switch.

One of the outer switch legs then gets soldered to where you just disconnected the output wire from. The other switch leg then gets soldered to ground. This way when the switch is in the "kill" position, it is grounding the guitar signal. When the switch is not in the "kill" position, the signal just goes to the output jack as normal.

Hope that all makes sense.

He means complete the circuit before it reaches any of your guitars electronics.

The normal way a guitar is wired is the two wires that come out of the input jack connect to different parts of the guitar

The Hot wire connects to one of the three things coming out of the vol pot or a switch or something.

The ground wire connects to the top of a pot or something

anyway when the switch is off it needs to connect these two wires so that all pots and pickups do not have any connection to the amp and when it is on is needs to function normal.

I can't think of one switch that could so that right now but that may be because im a bit lost today. The only way I can think of right now would require 3 switches

:D

The easiest way to wire a kill switch is to use a SPST switch to connect one wire on the output jack to the other. That's what "wire the switch to short the hot lead to ground" means. It works exactly like turning the volume all the way down.

You don't need anything but a simple short to ground, so SPST will work fine - when the switch is open, everything works normally, and when it closes, it shunts the guitar signal to ground, so no signal goes to the amp. Simple, easy and cheap. :D

This is simpler, and easier to wire :

killsw.jpg

Honestly, it's a kill switch! It works just exactly like turning the volume all the way down, by sending the signal directly to ground. Anything more complicated is unnecessary, and likely to cause problems. rabidmoose171's diagram will work, but why bother with the extra complexity that makes absolutely no difference?

I did the lazy version when my band used to play that stupid Filter song " hey man, nice shot". I would pull the cable out of the jack and then just move it back and forth so it would touch/not touch. Worked pretty good.

A pedal switch would be better. Then you can be playing the guitar with both hands while doing the on/off thing.

Thanks alot for the help, much appreciated! gonna start taking it apart today, lol.

Edit: ok i installed it like the picture above, mine has 2 attachments, not 3. however it works in reverse of what i want it to do. ie, there is no signal at all when the switch is up, and when you press it, there is. will i need a new switch or is there something i can do

As I'm installng one of these myself, and I'm trying to avoid doing as much work as possible, I have a few questions:

Does the ground wire have to go to the ground part of the jack, or can I hook both the ground and signal up to one blade, and leave the other one empty, as when switched to, nothing will be selected, so there'll be silence.

Or can I hook a ground wire from the back of the volume pot to the other blade and then take a wire from the blade back to the volume pot, as that would be a grounded wire, and no signal would be found when selected?

Yes, I'm a noob to this, so if they're stupid ideas, I apologise. Just trying to save work, which would mean less to go wrong... :D

Wire from volume pot to kill switch lug. Then one wire from there going to output jack. Then another wire from the other spare leg of kill switch, to either ground on the volume pot, or the ground lug of the jack socket. If you connect it to ground of the volume pot, make sure the volume pot then goes to ground of the jack socket.

I'm a little late to this one...but I'll add my two cents. I put one of these in a guitar I built a few years back.. I used a momentary switch to achieve stacatto breaks in the signal ala Radiohead...A switch is too much of a delay. Anyways... I just used a "Normally Closed" switch with two lugs. Wire the hot out from the volume to the Jack, then from there to the switch. Wire the Ground from the pot to the other lug.

I should note that I put in a small(.25) resistor between the volume and the jack. This is to avoid any signal "backwash". You can do without on a passive system, but it's a must-have on active pickups...no harm in wiring it in I figured. Hope it helps.