Guitar meets Airplane

My Dad's getting me a Gibson LP Standard in August in Canada. B)

I live in Israel and my dads flying back from Vancouver via London :D .

He was planing on taking it as a carry on (soft case packed with styrofoam and whatnot) but the airline told him he may not be allowed.

My question is: if he buys a hardshell case and stuffes it with clothes\packing material, will it be safe (or relatively safe) to put it in the cargo hold?

does anyone have experiance with this?

BTW- i'ts insured, so if something happens to it- airline pays up... but i'd rather just get it in one piece, if you know what i mean :D

If you lock it they break the locks....

carry on may work....he could buy an extra seat for it....

but a hardshell case should be good....For fun you could put a piece of tape across the joint to see if it's been opened....

I always tie something bright to my luggage because it all looks the same....I hate thinking of someone punking my luggage

i always put my neck-through guitar in the cargo and I have an ESP LTD hard case. no damage so far... the case might get some cuts but that's it! I've always put fragile stickers all over the case. I go on Korean Air.

but then again, it might just be my guitar because it has survived a 180 degrees flip before... AND there was a metal bar that hit mid air while it was doing a sommersault...

Just as important: tune it way the heck down! Down as in the strings just hanging there... You want as little tension on the neck as possible. The cargo hold is not half as comfortable as the cabin! Tune your guitar down... way way way down or you might have some neck adjustment problems to deal with as it arrives.