My Firebird copy

Hi guys!

Finished this yesterday! It's a loose copy of a Firebird, but I changed the electronics, it's a set neck etc... This is my second order - the idea was to make a very cheap guitar for renting in the studio, and therefore not worry about possible damage to it.

I actually started this a few years back when I just started doing this, and never really thought of finishing it since the body is made of laminated oak, my first routes were a bit sloppy etc...but this guy wanted it anyway so...my plans for this can be downloaded in the mimf library under templates. Make sure you elongate the headstock if you want 6-in-line tuners.

Some specs:

24 3/4

lam white oak body

one piece mah neck

gibson style rod

rosewood fboard

sintoms' frets

plastic nut

russian cheap open back tuners

toggle, 2 x P90, pots, wraparound bridge - WSC (very nice sounding pups for 10$)

russian army oil cap - very nice

finish - rattle can, nitro

It's surprisingly light, and also surprisingly, sounds nice :D Total cost was around 60$ B)

FBird9.JPG

FBird10.JPG

man I love firebirds, and P-90 thats almost an ultimate for me!

Boggs: I used to live in Moscow for about 8 years, and during that time made a lot of luthier friends - lots of luthiers in Russsia, BTW - I still buy most of my hardware trough them (meaning I rarely buy at retail prices). P90 shown were just 10$ a piece, and I've seen the same pup (WSC) go for around 40$ retail on the net. Truss rod is made by Shamray Guitars, I know most of those guys really well, so it was free, basically it's just a 5mm steel rod, etc...

I use byelorussian frets made by Sintoms, they are around 2-3$ a set, and they have great durable material.

About the wood, while still in Moscow, I used to go woodshopping to Bohman's, and they used to throw away wooden spacers for stacking huge boards for shipping. Thing is, whatever is shipped, the spacers would be the same material... The guys working there would put those on a side waiting for the luthiers to appear :D

One time I got veeery lucky and got a carfull of 10 x 10 x 100cm blanks just for giving their janitor 300 rubles (bit less than 10$), and I'm stil using those B) It was a pain to ship it to myself when I moved back home, but that's another story...the neck is from that bunch.

The body is an ex-window sill (free)...

Nowdays I shop mostly for local woods, maple (got a nice quartersawn board 8 x 40 x 200cm for about 30EUR), cherry, walnut (got a whole log for 100EUR, sawn and all, and the guy thrown in 3 walnut stumps for free, said he doesn't need them), ash...

Yes, I've played loads of Shamray guitars, both customs and production line stuff (BTW I think due to the demand they are doing only customs now), and actually own 3 - a LP Standard, 5-string thumb (you can find it in the gallery) and a Ibanez Artist copy (semihollow, '70s)...

I think you'd love the guitar you get there - Michael can walk you trough the process, and there is a number of luthiers there that can do almost anything - Pavel Bashmakov, Max Ushkalov, Dima Sushkov, Sasha Styepanov etc...you can PM me with any questions you might have...

yeah, i've talked to michael over at the guitar.com forums, and sent up a quote for him on the shamray forums. they seem to be really back logged lately, and would take forever to get one done. but that's the price you pay. i'm probably going to go through with it, once i get the oney...after i finish paying off the guitar i'm going to buy soon. i just like to get second(or third, or fourth) opinions...