Guitar kit? Go or no go?

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/3d.htm

but it will be very difficult to do that on the saga kit. afaik, the top is veneered but also sealed, and it is near impossible to sand the sealer off in order to get to the veneer without actually going right through it. you might want to just sand it right off, re-veneer with your own stuff, etc. this was the most common complaint i've read about the saga prs style kits... that being said, whatever you end up with will be totally playable.. the kits are a fun way of gettin' into things

if thats the case, what finishes are possible to do? I want to avoid doing just a flat colour like on Manchester Guitar Tech? Whats your advice?

I haven't seen a lot of transcolored clears out there, but they are out there. reranch.com has a vintage browning clear and a trans blue clear.

BUT since it's nitro, don't think they'll ship to the UK. :D

Dupli-Color's METALCAST (produces like a colored alumn/chrome look) without it's ground coat is a colorized clear. I've been planning on testing this out to see if it will do a sealed saga top well enough. What little testing I've done with it shows you have to spray very evenly. If the coat isn't even, the color gets darker in unevenly sprayed areas.

Hope it helps.

Brian

Yeah kits are good, i bought the tele kit from that site not to long ago, i got an amazing flame on the neck i was suprised that it was so good B) but on the PRS kit you will not be able to get as good as finish as the one you showed :D

I've been considering something like this. For my first project, I want to make the body and buy the neck, but I can't find a neck for less than about 120, so it seems like just for the neck and the electronics this would be the best deal.

How's the quality of the wood components? Are the fretboards flat? How's the fret work? The nut comes slotted, correct?

I've been considering something like this. For my first project, I want to make the body and buy the neck, but I can't find a neck for less than about 120, so it seems like just for the neck and the electronics this would be the best deal.

How's the quality of the wood components? Are the fretboards flat? How's the fret work? The nut comes slotted, correct?

Quality is not great, but not complete garbage either especially for the price. You can get just a neck (strat & tele styles only) from universaljems.com REALLY cheap. Brian's (not me) a good guy, he'll hook ya up.

Plastic nut pre-slotted, frets are okay, usally 12" radius on the above.

The necks for the saga kit for PRS style aren't available, only the S&T style are.

Hope it helps.

Brian

the neck of the prs kit has an asymmetrical back, at least in mine's case. i'm not disappointed with the apparent quality, considering how much i paid. i really have to get back to working on it.

Dupli-Color's METALCAST (produces like a colored alumn/chrome look) without it's ground coat is a colorized clear.

interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

the sunburst is really very nice. if i buy the kit i will try to recreate that (might need a little help though :D )

I dont get what he means when he scrapes the binding?

to be absolutely honest im petrified of screwing the paint up, because ive never done a guitar project before. B)