What transparent color should the Project Strat be

Guitarfrenzy

What transparent color should the Project Strat be?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Actually, I think green looks best with those pearloid pickguards, but it has to be the 'right' green. Most shades of green I've seen I really don't like, but when you zero in on the good ones, man, they're really beautiful. Hard to capture tho. It's a challenge to produce those gorgeous 'aqua-fern' greens, easy to make ugly 'playschool' greens. :D

If you're gonna go green or blue, I would highly recommend you bleach the wood first, it will look immensly better. Greens and blues over brown wood look narsty to me. The whiter the wood to start off with the better those colors come off.

What happens is this: to cover up the brown-ness of the wood and get your color 'across', you have to go pretty heavy-handed with the color, because what you are doing actually is trying to 'overpower' the brown with the blue or green, and then it gets too dark by the time it's blue 'enough' to look right, so bleaching it first allows you to go light enough with your color so it looks -great-, not just 'good'.

You don't want to be 'fighting' the brown, you'd rather just have a much more neutral shade to work with so you're not fighting anything at all.

You already know you're gonna shoot your color on a scrap piece first to test until you're happy with it...until that sh*t-eating grin comes across your face and you're freaking out slap-jackin' happy with the color, .....you're not going to experiment with colors on that gorgeous guitar, hehehe.....right? :DB)

For pearloid pickguard, yeah, blue would come in next.

But for green (and blue too, I think), everything has to be 'white white' to pull 'the look' off, so those cream pkp covers would have to be changed to white.

Bluebursts are much harder (for me anyway) to pull off than standard sunbursts, because with a regular burst, you can start with yellow, go to red, brown, black, whatever.

With blue tho, you only have blue...different shades of blue. You have to either mix in some transparent white, maybe a dash of yellow to get a slightly aqua blue, so your basecoat blue is actually a light light (slightly) aqua blue, then shade towards dark blue, then black maybe...but for your starter basecoat blue, it's a bit of a challenge to get it 'light' enough to contrast your darker bursting against.

My opinion only. :D

looks great :D

you didnt happen to cut thatoff the guitar, hehehe j/k

Were have you been in the last MONTH, go to inprogress and check out the thread of the SUMMER... Making of a Strat pictorial... :DB) they look like the cut away from the horns of the strat, what better crap to use than pieces of the guitar you are buiding