Radius question

Just a quick question on the effects between having a different radiused fingerboard to a bridge.

I like the standard 10" radius on Gibsobs but the TOM Im looking at has a 12" radius. What effect will this have? Also I am cosidering using this with a mustang vibrato tailpiece. Will this have any effect on it?

well I realy want to have a low action and I cant file down the saddles as this is what Im looking at http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailp...ge.html#details

Is there much of a difference between a 10" and 12" radius fingerboard when you play it. I have a 10" radiused fingerboard. Can someone tell me a popular guitar with a 12" radius that I could try out in a local guitar shop.

The difference between 10 and 12 will be very small when it comes to the effect on the action. A 2" difference in radius is still quite playable - beyond that (4" diff) you might start noticing it.

Someone here has the equation to figure out how much height difference there is at the edge of the fretboard but I can't remember who.

If you have radius guages, draw the 12 and the 10 together (with the peaks lined up) - you'll see how small the difference is at the edges. From there, you can get an idea of whether or not you think it will be acceptable.

Usually Gibson LP, SG have a 12 r,strat,tele have a 9 1/2 radius(not a 100% sure with the tele), except some reissue or vintage that have 7 1/2, rick have 10 radius.OK this is standard, after a fret job every thing may change some ,plus there is other that go to 14,15 16 and plus the comp radius ,9 1/2 at the nut to 12 or more at the end of the fretboard.

The difference between 10 and 12 will be very small when it comes to the effect on the action. A 2" difference in radius is still quite playable - beyond that (4" diff) you might start noticing it.

Someone here has the equation to figure out how much height difference there is at the edge of the fretboard but I can't remember who.

If you have radius guages, draw the 12 and the 10 together (with the peaks lined up) - you'll see how small the difference is at the edges. From there, you can get an idea of whether or not you think it will be acceptable.

This spread sheet will help you calculate any radius you would need for guitar necks and bridges.

Guitar radius spread sheet (requires excel)

Three pages, with descriptions at the top telling you what to do, works in metric or standard.

Thanks to nyjbkim for the help on the math.... i'm still working on making a java page for this.. *cough* meastro * cough*

Thanks to nyjbkim for the help on the math.... i'm still working on making a java page for this.. *cough* meastro * cough*

It's just jbkim now :D. Hmm... I'd offer to do the Java (JavaScript?) implementation but I'm getting ready to move across country, get married and buy a house B).