Cud's Project Guitar

How high is the action on the 12th fret, and on the highest fret?

Just curious...

Loving the guitar bro! It just goes to show what can be done if you take the time to do it right the first time :D

Keep up the good work. Man I can't wait to see your like 5th guitar B):D:D

Also hows that trem working out for ya? I was thinking of one of those in my next build because they look so cool

Also hows that thick neck carve working out for ya?

Edited by Godin SD

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't measured the action yet. I've gone by feel to see if I can set it up that way, as opposed by looking at a ruler. It's pretty low right now. Maybe lower than my Petrucci. That would put it in the vicinity of 1/32" at the twelfth fret. I think the nut slots are too low on the B and G strings so I may have to shim or re-cut. But that's minor.

The trem is nice but I've got to let the claw out a bit. Plus, the springs I got with it are pretty stiff. I've only got two on there now and they pull real hard.

The neck feels thicker than I thought, now that it's on the body and strung up. But the action is so comfortable, it doesn bother me. I wouldn't be surprised if on a rainy day in the future, I pull it off and slim it down a bit. It feels alot like a Fender Strat neck.

Have you messed around with the sounds you get from that 5 way switch you put in?

I sure have. First, just to make sure it was wired properly and then a day later to really listen for the differences. I've only since just looked at the guitar sitting in a stand next to my desk.

This weekend, I'll shim the nut (until I get new blanks to cut another), adjust the trem springs, do the intonation and fix the pup heights. Then, I'll do some sound clips.

It has a very Tony Mcalpine Carvin feel to me, again great job.

I thought it had more of a Petrucci vibe to it. In either case, it's a great looker. I can't believe that it's a first build! :o Looks a million times better than mine did.

Everything is nice and clean on this one Cud. Excellent work!

Nice, it's looking like a clon Carvin meets Petrucci!  Can't wait to see it finish, any idea on the finish you will use! A 3D stain will look nice on that top.

Carvin Petrucci! That's exactly what's influenced it so far. While I'm happy with the way it looks, I now wish I had used the body I designed. It's nothing earth shaking, just a double cut, but it's mine. I guess this one is original in that I've combined elements of two different guitars. Ah, whatever.

Just filling the gaps. :D