Bridget - 8-string Semi Hollow

This is the first guitar project I've posted on the site. We used to make custom guitars "back in the day" and have recently started back up (now that we can afford tools). This is Bridget, she is a semi hollow body made from 35 yr old Ash (wouldn't have been my first choice but the grain on this is wonderful). Soon she will have a three tone sunburst, then clear coated. 8 strings (low E and A have octaves like a 12 string). Let me know what you guys think!

gitt1.JPG

Pic2

Edited by Doeringer

It's has very cool grain orientation. It really works well with the design! Nice stuff man, I can't wait to see it finished! Good luck with the finish, I hope it turns out well for you.

Oh yeah if we are playing the ink blot test game, I see a nose, at least the end of it reminds me of the bottom of a nose. Don't ask me why! Either way that thing looks sweet! It will look great with a burst finish. Later. Jason

Wow, nice burst! It looks very nice how you got such smooth and perfect lines all the way around. I am interested in seeing that thing finished. I think it will look really good even with a couple coats of clear on it. It's a 3 part burst right? Thats what it looks like to me. Well nice stuff man. I'm glad it's working out for you and definately post some more pics as you go. It's going to look great! Later. Jason

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Marksound for the great idea! I have been working feverishly since you gave me the inspiration and I think it is ready to market. Here are my ideas; I’m looking forward to everybody’s insight:

Reb Beach of “Winger” He’s got to have one, I know!

Fine Young Cannibals for the cover of “The Raw and the Uncooked II”

chixgit.jpg

Touche'

Here is an update after the first few coats of nitro. Thanks for all of the wonderful replies, and no, although I though Brian's bursting techniques tutorial was excellent, we have a full paint setup and I have a crescendo airbrush (had to replace my compressor yesterday …%$*#*!!!). I think it looked too thick because it had no shine. You can see by these pics that the clear brings out the grain and softens the transition between colors. Still needs some sanding and final leveling. The hardware was just set in place so if it doesn’t look perfectly in line, sorry, it was lust to get a better idea of the finished product. We have a few others in progress, we’ll get other pics up soon.

Front Pic

Back Pic

Well, I can't be anything but honest... :D

1. I like the original design of the body simply because you were trying to make something different, and I'm all for that.

But the design looks to me like it should have stayed on the drawing board for a few more refinements and revisions. I like the basic idea, but it doesn't look 'done' yet, if you follow, like it was put to the router before the final design was fully realized. I like the basic idea, but I think the way it sits now looks sort of 'clunky', but it is a good basic pattern that with a few refinements could look much nicer. Again, just my opinion.

2. I think that wood would have been better suited to a grain enhancement program.

Click the link below and look at the green guitar in the middle of the very first pic at the top, that is an Ash guitar with the grain enhanced, that is sort of what I had in mind when I saw your initial body wood shot. There are several more pics of that guitar if you scroll down aways on that page.

3. Other than that, nice work!

The Guitar In The Center is Ash