Pointy Stick

Muzz

Me and you gotta start the McGuiver club...............

Nice work , as you've displayed throughout. Don't get in a hurry at this point - the finish is the last half of the journey .

:D Yep we have qualified for that club a few times over, now if I could just figure out how to scoop out the ferrule holes with my Swiss Army knife ..........

My desk is covered with little bits of ash all stained in different colours, here is my fav so far

20pbnzs.jpg

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me and you gotta start the McGuiver club...............

Nice work , as you've displayed throughout. Don't get in a hurry at this point - the finish is the last half of the journey .

:D Yep we have qualified for that club a few times over, now if I could just figure out how to scoop out the ferrule holes with my Swiss Army knife ..........

My desk is covered with little bits of ash all stained in different colours, here is my fav so far

20pbnzs.jpg

Yea. the blue always looks good on ash. Doin a blue ash geet myself, With some black gone on first to bring the grain way up.

I assume the pickguard is white, like the pups ? this thing is gona look schweeeeeet !!!

But get a move on - your as slow as me :D

I don't know what them other bits of stained wood on your desk look like but you ain't gonna go wrong with a guitar the color of that chunk above...

B

Great, red looked OK as did golden oak, but I think you are right, this guitar is telling me it wants to be blue.

Yea. the blue always looks good on ash. Doin a blue ash geet myself, With some black gone on first to bring the grain way up.

I assume the pickguard is white, like the pups ? this thing is gona look schweeeeeet !!!

But get a move on - your as slow as me :D

Oh yeah, I went for the white pearl, and yep Axl Rose is going to finish Chinese Democracy before this guitar gets strung up :D

I am going to try concentrated dark blue for the grain accents first, if it is not intense enough, yep it will get some black.

Lining up the neck plate

ebbi10.jpg

Drilling in the neck screw holes

2j50zyu.jpg

Haven't seen anyone do this with the heal before, so I thought I would

t7j335.jpg

And that is all the routing, drilling shaping finished, next step rub off all the pencil marks, there is a lot of them, and then on to staining.

23sgdnd.jpg

the ash will drink up a lot more stain on the ends.... have you tested for that too? It will end up a lot darker than that blue in some areas which is why i would lean towards trans lacquer on something like this for a more consistent look, or you need to experiment with staining techniques such as prewetting the end grain to prevent rapid absorbtion

the ash will drink up a lot more stain on the ends.... have you tested for that too? It will end up a lot darker than that blue in some areas which is why i would lean towards trans lacquer on something like this for a more consistent look, or you need to experiment with staining techniques such as prewetting the end grain to prevent rapid absorbtion

Yep you were right about Rustins taking a stain well, and going over the top with a tinted lacquer evens things out nicely.

The other tip I forgot to throw out there is that Rustins goes straight over a decal no worries, no crinkling at all as long as you don't thin it, saves all that mist spraying.

I am going for a very deep blue.

Starting to coat with lacquer.

2ldxe85.jpg

2nd coat on now, it's hanging on a coat hanger (with a bean bag underneath, I have read too many posts where the body falls off the hook :D )

I stained with blue and rubbed back first before staining with black and rubbing back, this brought up the grain but kept it looking dark blue.

2igdfrd.jpg

So now I am just building up the layers of clear.

Cool lookin.

I normaly do it the other way. Black first then blue. But it ends looking about the same.

Keep it goin man :D

:D

It looks really large and uncomfortable...

Well Cam, I have heard that comment from many women about my other pointy stick. I'll give you the same answer that I gave them, yes it may look a bit large, but the way it is shaped makes it very comfortable :D

Edited by Muzz

Well Cam, I have heard that comment from many women about my other pointy stick. I'll give you the same answer that I gave them, yes it may look a bit large, but the way it is shaped makes it very comfortable :D

:D

Haha, alright, I'll take your word for it then B)

Will you just finish this d@mn thing already!!!!!

:D :D B)

You shouldn't always be in a rush to reach the finish line, didn't those Scandinavian girls teach you anything? B)

Won't be too much longer now, I'm polishing it up. Back and sides are done, still working on the front. Imagine if you spent this much time on a guitar and put it in a shop to sell and some guy grabs it and dings it into something, that would be hard to keep a lid on.

I'm looking forward to putting it all together.

I like that you're taking your time with this build. A few weeks ago, I decided to figure out what this stupid pointy stick thread is about, and I really did enjoy reading it! Though it took me 3 days lol.

I like how you build, shoot the ****, build some more etc. It's like watching an episode of "this old house" or "Yankee woodshop".

Imagine if you spent this much time on a guitar and put it in a shop to sell and some guy grabs it and dings it into something, that would be hard to keep a lid on.

That's why you need to finish it up quick, then you will care less when you drop it. :D

I like that you're taking your time with this build. A few weeks ago, I decided to figure out what this stupid pointy stick thread is about, and I really did enjoy reading it! Though it took me 3 days lol.

I like how you build, shoot the ****, build some more etc. It's like watching an episode of "this old house" or "Yankee woodshop".

That's great, a lot of the fun for me on this guitar has been the influence of the chat on this thread on the way this guitar has developed.

Imagine if you spent this much time on a guitar and put it in a shop to sell and some guy grabs it and dings it into something, that would be hard to keep a lid on.

That's why you need to finish it up quick, then you will care less when you drop it. :D

I can't drop this guitar Stewey, I decided not to round off any of the edges, the 2 pack lacquer I used is rock hard and as Akula points out it would lop my toe off :D

Wez was saying a while back about neck joins on factory guitars not being as tight as some of the joins we do, here is proof, I saw this in a shop window on Thursday, it is a Gibson Sonex

saxik9.jpg

Look at the space between the body and the neck, you could drive a small toy truck around in that channel. You know what is even more disturbing? Have a look at where the black finish has worn off, that looks like MDF or masonite B) I have never liked Gibson guitars, this one reinforces that feeling for me.

Here is the gear I should have used for drilling the jack hole

xnygc3.jpg

have a look here for info on the sonex:

http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/sonex.php

the bodies featured a new material Resonwood, and a Multi-phonic construction. ... The Sonex Multi-phonic™ body is composed of Resonwood surrounding an inner tone wood core. The tone wood core not only acts as the anchor point for the neck, it also adds acoustic resonance and exceptional body resilience. The Sonex body is so resilient, that it's structural properties survived extreme testing in temperatures ranging from 40° below to 180°F.

you can tell the age from reading this

A Sonex Multi-phonicâ„¢ body delivered greater sustain than many guitars priced two and three times higher. And the Sonex-180 has the welght and feel of even the most expensive guitars.

i.e. weight = quality and sustain... how very 80's :D

but overall probably better than things like luthite since there is some real wood in the centre