Name For These Mats?

killemall8

Those mats! The ones that you put on your work bench.. the ones that hold your work piece, so you dont have to clamp it, or so the workpiece doesnt slide around. what the heck are those called???

I've always heard them called simply non slip or anti slip mats. All the shops around this area that sell them have them shown as just that.

something I liked (for that) is what I saw in one video at youtube....

vacuum stick build in the table.

like ones for the glass (etc car gps)

but in much bigger edition !

:D

but, since I never found anything like that to buy, I just use this what member "Mender" said !

works well....

(for now)

There are router mats and sanding mats, but i have recently really come to like my bench cookies, available at Rockler and also Lowe's, etc. They elevate your workpiece enough that you can pattern route an entire guitar body without flipping over or whatever.

Pretty much any mat made of rubber is a non slip mat. Some of the eary ones were just foam rubber carpet backing and a firm grade. Evn the stuff they sell for shelving can be used.

Be careful with them. I have found that some contain silicone and will leave the dimple marks on the wood from a light stain of the silicone and it will appear in your finish. :D

Ask me how I know this :D I used one I bought at Woodcraft. It no longer resides in my shop.

Just an FYI to test it first. B)

MK

Be careful with them. I have found that some contain silicone and will leave the dimple marks on the wood from a light stain of the silicone and it will appear in your finish. :D

Ask me how I know this :D I used one I bought at Woodcraft. It no longer resides in my shop.

Just an FYI to test it first. B)

MK

+1. Most annoying, I had to re sand and re-apply the finish

now that you mention it, mine did leave the pattern of the mat on the back of my guitars... but i always washed them down with wax and grease remover before i sprayed them, and never had a problem.

EDIT: Ive only had the matt a few months, it had nothing to do with my fisheye contamination i had last summer and fall*

Edited by killemall8

Noeprene rubber is what's used for the Martin style guitar mats. I bought a huge roll of it a few years ago from some company in Michigan maybe? It was enough for about a dozen mats. They sell many different thicknesses and grades, with a price that averages out to about $3 a mat.

I'm currently using up the last of mine for a few Stu Mac neck jigs with a much safer work board. I'll post some pics soon when they're done.