Another Black Beauty...

I like it PsikoT, like the other guitars you've built. You should post it on guitarramania :D

Svenska luthier, i didn't know of maderas Barber. I was in Spain last christmas and brought home a piece of maple, over 2 meters long, 20 cm wide and 5 cm thick and it was only 35 euros.

I do think they have good prices for wood in Spain.

Here in Venezuela, because of deforestation we don't have many species of wood left to use for guitars. No more mahogany, or spanish cedar, apamate, pardillo, etc. What we get is caribbean pine ( which is a cool wood) and sometimes weird brazilian species like Mureillo, or Abiu...

Regarding guitar building woods I think you have one of the best guitar wood suppliers in western Europe in Spain: www.maderasbarber.com

Maderas Barber is very expensive IMO, and never bought anything from stumac due to international taxes...

I have another supplier here in Spain much cheaper than MB and SM: www.madinter.com, is worth to give a try... 20€ minimum order and very good service.

I thought wood was cheaper there in USA... :D

thanks for comment! :D

Don't know about that... The AAA grade African ebony fretboars from MB are 13.34€ and the ungraded AFrican ebony fretboard from Madinter is 9.25€, AAA Palosanto de Madagaskar (madagaskan rosewood?) fretboards are 10.71 compared to ungraded at 14€ from Madinter, Zebrano was the only wood I could easily compare and a already glued up and planed blank from MB was 66€ compared to what I think is (my spanish is more or less non-existing) half a body blank worth of zebrano from Madinter going for 55€ (even if it a complete blank the differense isnt gigantic) and a plain maple neck blank from Madinter is 12€ compared to one made out of curly maple for 11.23€ from MB. Those are just a few quick, non-sientifical samples I did to check. Can't realy see that MB is so much more expensive. If you find cheeper wood, please share with us as we all strugle to find better sources to buy wood from.

On a side note I saw that Madinter offered FSC-aproved Sapele with is a real bonus. Good to know. Thanks for sharing the link to them.

@Eddiewarlock: Thats a lot of necks from that maple:lol:

You should post it on guitarramania :)

Thanks eddie, I'm just waiting to buy the wood to declare the project 'official'... XD then I will post on guitarramania :D

I was in Spain last christmas and brought home a piece of maple, over 2 meters long, 20 cm wide and 5 cm thick and it was only 35 euros.

where in the hell did you bought that piece of maple for 35€????

The AAA grade African ebony fretboars from MB are 13.34€ and the ungraded AFrican ebony fretboard from Madinter is 9.25€

Most woods in madinter are graded as well... they are 'special', 'first', 'second' and 'third' like in MB... I haven't noticed those cheap fretboards and necks in MB, maybe because I ran like hell when compared these items: :D

http://www.madinter.com/b2c/index.php?page=pp_producto.php&md=0&ref=MEBS

http://www.tonewood.es/product.php?id_product=294&id_lang=1

anyway, I'll have a look in deep to MB, But I fear I can't afford the 200€ minimum order... thanks for the info anyway...

PS.- you can change the language to english in madinter website

thanks for comment! B)

I finally found the language button :D

The items you compared was african mahogany (Madinter) and South American MAhogany (MB) so there should be a significant difference. However Madinter are cheeper even when comparing African Mahogany VS African Mahogany. And their prices on Sapele is great (20€ for a body blank). I really apretiate that you shared that resource!

And their prices on Sapele is great (20€ for a body blank)

Here where I live, there are very cheap sapelle blanks... I plan to buy the wood for the body here... 60€ for a piece of 250 x 25 x 5 cm, not bad at all...I can build 3 bodies from that...

but for the necks, I always need madinter

You should post it on guitarramania :D

Thanks eddie, I'm just waiting to buy the wood to declare the project 'official'... XD then I will post on guitarramania :D

I was in Spain last christmas and brought home a piece of maple, over 2 meters long, 20 cm wide and 5 cm thick and it was only 35 euros.

where in the hell did you bought that piece of maple for 35€????

Maderas Miña in Seville.

I really like Maderas Barber for fretboards that I don't plan to use for the next few years - their exotics tend to be relatively 'green' and I've only ever gotten a few sets I would be willing to build with immediately. If you have the time to season the wood their prices are excellent, and max 30 euros of shipping to anywhere in Europe makes them a very attractive proposition. I don't use them for electric body blanks or necks (that are not rosewood), however, as it's really not difficult to find sapele, sipo, khaya (and maple, poplar, basswood, bubinga, wenge) and only moderately difficult to find limba and honduran mahogany at local lumber yards for very little cash indeed (10-15 euros for a body, 5-10 for a neck's worth. Tops). True rosewoods and ebonies are almost impossible to find here, however.

I've ordere Honduran back/side sets from Maderas Barber before, perfectly good quality. Mostly because wide quartered hondo stock is not quite so easy to dig up here, and the cost effectiveness of reswaing it myself was dubious at best. Back when I did they also e-mailed me some shots of cocobolo sets (acoustic) I was considering.

Wow, I was just looking around Maderas Barber's site & figured Id get a few pieces to check out their quality. Maby use them as a supplier for some things in the future.

But when it came to chek out time it turns out that the minimum order was €200.00 :D *** !!

Limba - local lumber yards

Hondo mahogany - ditto.

I'm moving to the Nederlands...

• 7 months later...

Hi there,

long time since I haven't posted anything here, sorry for delay. I actually finished the project and made two guitars from the same wood, instead just one... I've posted the entire process in another forum (spanish) so I will re-post here. Unfortunately, my english is very poor and I'm unable to explain some things, sorry about that.

I always start working on necks, so let's start with neck woods: 3 piece laminated necks, maple-sapelle-maple and inverse, ebony fretboards and headplates.

0002.jpg

I hate scarf-joints, so I always cut the entire pieces... it's a waste of wood but stress saving... XD

0007.jpg

0008.jpg

Routed with a MDF template of neck profile

0011.jpg

0013.jpg

Glued...

0014.jpg

0015.jpg

Sanded...

0017.jpg

0018.jpg

Truss rod channels...

0019.jpg

Double head plate... the inner one is from brazilian cedar...

0022.jpg

0023.jpg

0024.jpg

Head wings...

0025.jpg

Glueing veneers...

0026.jpg

0029.jpg

0030.jpg

0031.jpg

I've made the logo inlay from cow bone

0035.jpg

0037.jpg

0038.jpg

0039.jpg

0040.jpg

0046.jpg

0047.jpg

0048.jpg

0049.jpg

Time to fretboards...

0045.jpg

I'll put a maple binding to one of them...

0050.jpg

0052.jpg

Truss rod adjustment...

0053.jpg

0062.jpg

0063.jpg

Glueing fretboards...

0068.jpg

0066.jpg

0067.jpg

0069.jpg

0070.jpg

0071.jpg

0072.jpg

And here's the result... next, the bodies.

0075.jpg

0076.jpg

0073.jpg

• Like 1

I only used sapelle once so far,but I really like the tone it gives.It is a bit heavy,but the extra weight works well on single cuts and Vs where the upper strap button is at the back of the neck heel(so that it balances right)

My Gibsonesque V still weighs less than 8 pounds,so it came out about right.I thinned it to 1 1/2" instead of the full 1 3/4"