Top ten favourite guitarists?

Taurus

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, talk about incredibly limited ears. Either people like the mainstream classic rock guitarists, the shredders, or the metal guys.

Nothing wrong with that, but I guess my list is going to be foriegn to alot of people. I'm glad I see Chris Brooks, Mikael Akerfelt and Petrucci listed though :D

Steve Morse

Allan Holdsworth

Robert Fripp

Ron Thal

Daniel Gildenlow

John Petrucci

Shawn Lane

Steve Vai

Andy Timmons

Marty Friedman

I left out alot of favorite players and focused on more 'guitar' oriented music. It's too annoying the weigh someone like David Gilmour next to Pat Metheney and ask which guitarist is better...cross genre is hard to decide.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity ...

Does anyone else actually rate Paul Gilbert or are many of you not heard him?

Smitty - I rated myself by pressing random number keys on my keyboard. This was an attempt to indicate that I consider myself to be worlds away from the standard of the guitarists on my list, not to indicate that I consider myself as better than 80% of all guitarists in the world. But thanks for pointing it out anyway.

N° 1 Jimi Hendrix (just look at the woodstock DvD and you'll know why he's Nber 1)

N° 2 Van Halen (He reinvented guitar playing)

N° 3 Kirk hammett (Jawdropping solo's need i say more)

N° 4 Zakk wylde (He plays Metal like he was born to rock a guitar)

N° 5 Jimmy page (needs no explanation)

N° 6 Randy rhoads (ditto)

N° 7 Kurt cobain (simplicity and geniality often go togeter)

N° 8 Slash (ditto)

N° 9 Angus young (some ppl like, em some don't )

N° 10 Malcom young (He shure is on of the best rythm players there is)

N° 1 Jimi Hendrix (just look at the woodstock DvD and you'll know why he's Nber 1)

N° 8 Slash (ditto)

Don't worry dude...when you turn 18 you'll appreciate new music. That was my list from like 14-16 or so...then when you decide to really discover music, it'll hit you hard!

N° 8 Slash (ditto)

Don't worry dude...when you turn 18 you'll appreciate new music. That was my list from like 14-16 or so...then when you decide to really discover music, it'll hit you hard!

that sure is condescending...

so you think that if someone doesn't have as broad a range of taste as you,they are too young to know better?

i have an idea...let's start a topic about what your favorite foods are so we can make fun of the kids who don't like onions :D

well of course its a generalization, but I bet I'm right about this particular one. Plus, being younger generally means youve had less time to find new music, and those guitarists are the ones that go thrown in my face right away after wanting to play guitar...

I'm using my own experience for that.

I started playing guitar in january and if you would have asked me this list one year ago at the eXact same time my list would be:... Kurt cobain ... euh ... Maybe that guitarist from Metallica?? (I didn't know ANY guitarists)

Van halen... euh?? is he somekind of movie character?? Jimi Hendrix ,i heard of him but i don't even know one song....

NONE of the guitarist on that list where ever played on the radio here in belgium!!!

I even started listening to ACDC because i heard them the first time in tony hawk pro skateboarding B)

so by this time i think I'ts an acomplishment to even put 10 famous guitarist on that list! of course some of you have grown up with these artist but this was all kinda new to me.

and of course this list does tottaly not show you my taste of music,

If this was a belgian forum alotta other names that you don't nkow would be on that list so for now my taste is (Metallica, Nirvana, Jimi Hendrix) thes 3 names are the only names that really show my taste!!

Belgian artist are :Gorki, Zornik, flip Kowlier and these are the total oposite of my list.

PS you where right about my age I'm 16 :D

-edited some names that where spelled wrong :D -

Edited by ikke_998

well of course its a generalization, but I bet I'm right about this particular one. Plus, being younger generally means youve had less time to find new music, and those guitarists are the ones that go thrown in my face right away after wanting to play guitar...

I'm using my own experience for that.

funny thing is...my favorite guitarists are still the same as when i was 16...even though my musical tastes have broadened considerably

funny thing is...my favorite guitarists are still the same as when i was 16...even though my musical tastes have broadened considerably

I call a bluff....give me your list of top 10, and lets see what touched you when you were 15, and what still does (I dunno how old you are...but that doesnt particularly matter as long as you're over 20)

funny thing is...my favorite guitarists are still the  same as when i was 16...even though my musical tastes have broadened considerably

I call a bluff....give me your list of top 10, and lets see what touched you when you were 15, and what still does (I dunno how old you are...but that doesnt particularly matter as long as you're over 20)

this sure seems ridiculous...i am 32 by the way...in my opinion most of the great guitarists were from the eightees such as joe satriani,kirk hammett,kerry king,jeff hanneman,stevie ray vaughn,gary holt,dave mustaine ,marty friedman,alex sckolnick,and so on...the only ones that have come up since then that i like are people like rusty cooley and james murphy

there IS no "bluff"

that word does not even apply in this situation :D

and i generally don't even participate in these popularity polls because there is always some wiseass who wants to down someone elses picks as immature or unenlightened

someone my age might say that your opinion on these popularity polls might tend to change once you hit 30 B)

in my opinion there arent many new good guitarists who can make the guitar sound special (e.g. that guy from the darkness can play, but he is really a cover artist for brian may, there is nothing original about it). There are certain guitarists that leave such a big impression on people like Jimi Hendrix because he was so experimental and nothing like that was ever heard before. Satriani invented a new twiddly widdly show off, big headed guitarist style, i dont like the guy but he has got many kids playing guitar again. It doesnt matter who influences you, So what if you know a load of no-name guitarists, does that mean that you taste is better than anyone elses, no it doesnt.

Jeez Mike, give the guy a break. Yes, he is young (as we all were once), but it's not like that's his fault or his problem. When I was 18, I liked xxx and yyy guitarists. Now I'm 32 I have an extra 14 years of delving deeper and deeper into my preferred area of music. Now I rate other guitarists as being the best, guitarists that I never knew existed 14 years ago, but I still like and listen to the ones that hooked me on my taste in music.

Sir, you have made an ass of yourself.