Goin' Fishin'

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's up with that bridge? I've never seen anything quite like it before! I can't see the details really except that each of the saddles are individual "posts". I just thought of an interesting bridge design using that post method that allows for height adjustment and minimal string friction...

Finally got a clip! The recording quality isn't that great, but you can hear the mwah, growl and super sustain here!

Fishbite

That bridge is super simple. I just put 5 threaded inserts into the body and made some screws with slots to work as individual saddles.

bridgecloseup.jpg

Advice to anyone building this would be either work in a machine shop where you would be allowed to make your own stuff or just buy a Badass or Schaller bridge. I put a lot of thought into this one and ended up with a few hours into the tailpiece. That would be something over $200 if I were making it for a customer, and I still ended up with something I'm going to replace. The string balls don't settle as far into the tailpiece as I'd like, and I'm going to make a better looking one when I redo it. The saddle/insert setup was pretty simple and I may have only one hour invested into the making of those pieces.

Weighs about 9.5 pounds and has a 34" scale. I'll be glad to shoot more pics if there's anything anyone wants to see!

*directed towards the first clip*

"you know, it just, you can uh...listen!"

"How much does this...."

"Just listen for a minute...."

"I’m not...."

"The sustain...listen to it..."

"I’m not hearing anything."

You would, though, if it were playing, because it really ... it’s famous for its sustain...I mean, you could, just hold it"

"Well I mean so you don’t...."

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa.... You could go and have a bite an’...aaaaaaaaa...you’d still be hearin’ that one."

Now scuse me, I hafta practice my scales...

Yarf yarf!

Seriously Wade - fantastic! Sounds great, looks great, still every bit as ridiculous as when you started. I love it, it's one of my all time favorites. It takes a special kind of person to take a *really bad* pun, and turn it into a *really cool* instrument.

Setch, you have any tips on binding fingerboards? I need to go back and look at your great LP again, that was extremely well done. I'm thinking of a more traditional shaped fretted bass for the next project, with a flamed redwood top and bound ebony fingerboard. Should look very classy. Here's a link for the redwood I won. I know I'll need to dry it for a while but I'm in no hurry. A beauty!

Oh, and another pic or two of the bigmouth.

headend.jpg

pegheadback.jpg