Your first guitar

bigdguitars

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first guitar was a 1965 Epiphone Riviera archtop. Belonged to my dad's friend who was killed by a hitchhiker just after they graduated. I recently replaced the pots and cleaned all the electronics up. It sounds gorgeous. My dad gave my his old Musicman HD-210 amp to play through.

I have since bought for myself in no particular order, a Squier Telecaster, an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, and a mid 1930's Harmony Patrician.

I also have access to (they aren't mine yet but when dad goes) a 1962 Gibson Melody Maker, a mid 90's American Strat, a late 70's Gibson R&D Artist, an Ibanez Joe Satriani sig, and a handful of older classical guitars(my dad has this nasty habit of impulse buying even the shadiest 3/4 size classicals he finds, I suppose its his idea of bringing home strays)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think I've posted in this thread, so here goes.

1st guitar - Peavey Raptor. Cheap Strat clone. I sanded the neck a bit, and I swear, the thing plays like butter. I'm looking forward to having the money to strip the everything off the body and neck and putting good electronics, pickups and hardware on it.

It was 1975, me mum bought me a 'Clark' acoustic to learn on.

(...from the Clarke Music Store up the street :DB) )

At the same time, my friends' mum bought -him- a Yamaha acoustic, bottom of the line model. Both starter guitars.

That bottom-of-the-line Yamaha -smoked- my Clarke and I -hated- that Clarke guitar and would not pick it up! I would only play the Yamaha.

That thing, bottom of the line tho it was, ...played like buttuh.

First guitar -I- bought, a 1979 Wine Red Gibson Les Paul Custom with my tax return money. $550.00, it was a factory second with a teeny tiny little flaw in the paint no one would ever see if you didn't point it out to them.

That guitar was all balls.

What a retard I was for ever selling -that- little honey, but I was near homeless and needed cash in a HURRY.

I want another one.

...Guess I'll just build one :D:D:D

A Hyundai electric guitar. They made guitars for about.... 2 years i think. I put a dimarzio fred in it and eventually sold it. That was probably about 14 years ago.....

It had 24 frets, floyd, humbucker/single/single, all of the nice body cuts and a nice translucent green finish. It also had a warped neck and an improperly installed locking nut.

My first guitar was a '72 Gibson SG Standard. I had asked for a guitar for Christmas every year since I was 5 and never got one. My parents decided to get divorced right at Christmas and asked me what I wanted. I told them a guitar or nothing. Spoiled... I know. My pops and I never really got along, so he bought me a used SG and this huge 300 watt bass amp from the seventies to try and win me. My parents got divorced... I went with my mom... and I still play that guitar to this day. Since then I have owned 67 guitars ranging from Ibanez, B.C. Rich, Jackson, Carvin, Fender, PRS, Zemaitis, Ampeg, Robin, ESP, Fernandez, Washburn, Gretsch, Martin, Guild, and a butt load of Gibsons. Right now, all I own is the SG and all the guitars I've built.